I am human too | Teen Ink

I am human too

By ieshadanai GOLD, Walnut Grove, Mississippi
ieshadanai GOLD, Walnut Grove, Mississippi

I love you as much as you love me. So if you hate me then we're even.

I am Native American yet people treat me like dirt not even human. I am hated on and asked ingorant questions when I am not with other Natives. It hurts that people think Natives are not even human and lower than dirt. I mean really we do not live in the past. Natives live in houses, we drive cars, and yes we breath the same air you do. We watch T.V., we play basketball, and we do not carry bows and arrows. I am proud to be Native American yet people try to get me to feel ashamed but I will not put my race down just for their enjoyment. I still keep my culture alive on the reservation. We dance to our traditional songs, we cook and eat Native American food, and we play stickball there are differences between every culture but at least get common sense not to ask dumb questions!

Emmyluwho BRONZE, Mckinney, Texas

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

I never knew Native Americans are discriminated against so harshly. I'm glad you brought this to my attention, and I hope you bring it to the attention of many others!