Legalize Gay Marriages | Teen Ink

Legalize Gay Marriages

September 3, 2010
By JoannaaSonn BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
JoannaaSonn BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

There has been a growing worldwide on not letting gays marry. ‘Yahoo! News’ posted on August 12, 2010, that many people are on the supportive side when it comes to gay marriages being approved. I believe that gays should be able to everywhere in the U.S. Marriage is about being happy, not about one man and one woman only. If two men or two women are happy and want to marry then they should be able to. According to the constitution everyone has a chance at being happy, if being happy means being with the same sex then so be it. It is not bothering anyone if they are getting married. Yes, some families have to accept that in their family. Well not accept, but respect and keep their comments to themselves. They are not the ones getting married. The constitution says every man is created equal, yet we are treating gays differently. They have some restrictions cut off that straight people are being offered. Why would the anti-gays feel uncomfortable if gays are getting married, it’s not like they are going to try to ‘get at them’ once they are married. I believe that the anti-gays are super rude and blow it out of proportion. The anti-gays have put a whole new level into being disrespectful to the gays. They make posters that say ‘God hates you!’ ‘Your worthless’ and more.
According to people who are against gay marriages, they believe that if gays adopt they will most likely molest the children. But then these are all myths.
One of the myths is about that if gays get married they will harm straight marriages. Children will get harmed by growing up in s gay/lesbian house hold, because their parents are the same sex.
To prove the accusation wrong I found an article about a guy named Jesse Levey and his interview on CNN.com and Levey says. "…. I was raised in a loving, caring household that let me be a free thinker."
The traditional definition of marriage: when a man and a woman join their lives together. On ‘Yahoo! Answers’ somebody asked the question “Why are so many people against gay marriage?”. And one girl responded with this: “Well because GOD created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.
Personally I don't have anything against gay people, but it is wrong for them to marry. Yes, I know there are some people who are born gay and they can not change, but that does not mean they have an excuse to get married….”

Gay marriages are something different happening in this generation. Not everyone will grow to accept this change that’s happening. ‘“It damages the children”, says Dale O'Leary, author of "One Man, One Woman: A Catholics Guide to Defending Marriage." She says that all children have a natural desire for a parent of each gender.
“But children of same-sex couples are forced to repress that desire because their parents won't accept it, she says. Their parents won't acknowledge their children's needs because they don't want to admit that they have caused their children to suffer.”

Massachusetts is the only state that allows gays to wed. Nineteen states have banned recognition of same sex marriages and say that marriages should be between man and woman.