The Actor Who Can't Get His Foot In The Door | Teen Ink

The Actor Who Can't Get His Foot In The Door

August 22, 2010
By JamesRM173 SILVER, South El Monte, California
JamesRM173 SILVER, South El Monte, California
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Its not about your skill, its about the heart you show.


This is beyond frustrating. I'm an actor, writter, and comedian. People have called me talented and gifted but I don't let it go to my head. But if all of that is true, then can someone tell me why can't I get my foot in the door? I'm trying my ass off to become an actor. But everywhere I go, its all the same. All they see is my last name and skin-tone. Martinez. To casting directors that means either a "gang-banger" or a "drug-addict". I see acting as an art and I respect people who take it as serious as me. But when you are constantly labled because of your race, you get upset. And I'm tired of being seen as "the cholo who's out for blood" or "the trouble teen who can put down the needle". For anyone who wants to be an actor, beware. Hollywood will lable you if you don't look like the "lead-man or woman". I just got back from an audition for an independant film. I won't be playing a druggie or thug, I'll be playing a real person! Wish me luck out there! Thanks for letting me rant to you people.