My knight in a white dress | Teen Ink

My knight in a white dress

By Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts
Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts

“There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout:
This is me damn it! I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel, love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me... or leave me. Accept me - or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don't fit your idea of who I should be and don't try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision.
When you are strong enough to love yourself 100%, good and bad - you will be amazed at the opportunities that life presents you.”

When I was little, I used to dream of being a princess—all young girls do don't they? I dreamed of being locked in a tower, where my white knight would rescue me. We would love each other, get married, and live happily ever after. No one told me that I could only love a specific type of knight, no one told me that I couldn't love my knight if she was a woman.

In some places around the world being gay is considered illegal and is punishable by death. America is not one of these countries, though many people have been murdered because of their sexual orientation. If this is considered to be acceptable, then someone had better come kill me now because I am guilty of this crime. I am guilty of loving another human being. I guilty of being who I am.

I am not even trying to touch upon the subject of gay marriage, I am talking about the everyday life. Walking down school hallways with people looking at you sideways, with snickering that disappears when you turn around, whispered words of f*****, and d*** swirling around you. I am talking about teenagers who kill themselves because people actually tell them to. “Got kill yourself f*****” is something that I have heard one to many times. I am talking about the newspaper stories about the kid who was pushed in front of a car, or beaten to death because he or she loved someone of the same sex.

Does all of this mean that little girls are not allowed to dream of their perfect knight? Just because that knight may just wear a white dress? Does this mean that “and they lived happily ever after” is not possible for some people? I do not know.

All I know is that I love my knight in a white dress.

I am bisexual and I fell that I should be able to love whomever I want to.

Loka013 BRONZE said...
Loka013 BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas

Faith, all you absolutely have to have is faith.

Wow, I am deeply touched by this. Many times in everyday life as a homosexual teen you do get discriminated against and for some people they dont know they are doing it.

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

I love this, I can totally relate to what you wrote about as I too am bisexual.  Keep writing, can't wait, and good luck! :-)

on Mar. 23 2010 at 8:37 am
APoetAtHeart GOLD, Lyman, Maine

" I am, Who I Am, But WHY I Am,Who I Am, Is What Confuses Me." - By Me

Aww, that was beautiful.

Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts

thank you so much! i am so glad that you liked it! it was just one of those things that just seemed like it NEEDED to be written. just to get it out there. I do feel bad for saying 'white knight' because after all, you white knight might not actually BE white....so someone pointed that out to me, lol. but yea. thank you so much for you comment!

Miep said...
I love this, and I totally agree with your viewpoints..

Court34 said...
very good. wow, you can totally feel how much you care about this subject. i can relate. keep writing!

Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts

It was a figure of speech...your right. I shouldn't have put it that way...by saying that I kind of contridicted myself, didnt I? Im sorry, If I could go back and change it I would...my knight could be any color in the world and I would still love her. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way by saying what i did earlier in the article....it was deffinatly not intended. I think everyone should be equal and have equal rights-gays, transgender, minority groups blacks, whites, any one and everyone. People shouldn't have to worry about being hated for what they are. No ton ebit.

Bella said...
Passion spills out of this ... you kind of lost direction in the middle, got sort of "ranty" but found your way back in the end. Here's my question: why do knights always have to be white?

neverending said...
i really liked this...very deep. you wrote it with passion and it shows that you truly do understand what you are talking about. keep writing!

Sara-Lynn SILVER, Gouldsboro, Maine

"There are no such thing as good girls gone bad, just bad girls found out"

Hehe! I think it's a great article too ^^

Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts

haha, lol. I love you to sara-lynn

sara-lynn said...
I love it! and I <3 you too! i will see you monday love!

robrobrobin11 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
You come across as a very open minded and loving person. I love your knight metaphor, it's so clever and soooo insightful. Beautiful article. Keep writing

;-)

CatherineS BRONZE, Charlotte, South Carolina

"Don't be ridiculous. You have no right to barge into people's castles and take their guitars." -Howl's Moving Castle

Wow, great article! I really hate it when people complain about things that really don't concern them. Good for you for being so true to yourself and not letting anyone force you to be someone you aren't!