Colorblind: Racial Ignorance in America | Teen Ink

Colorblind: Racial Ignorance in America

By silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I hope to change someones life one word at a time. Hopefully, it's a positive change and it's for the better, but any change at all is a step to an amazing new future.

Though she knew she was breaking the law, Rosa Parks, a simple, elderly, hard working,
housemaid, one day decided she would not give up her seat on the bus for a white man. And with that small act of defiance, she became, unintentionally, a Civil Rights icon.
Parks never intended to be a popular and respected leader of this movement. She only wanted to be comfortable after a day of being on her feet. Parks was arrested, and with the media outrage that followed, America’s eyes began to open.
Sadly, that is a lie. America’s eyes have yet to open. They have steadfastly remained in darkness.

Being the youngest child of an interracial marriage, I am often asked if this relationship has affected me in any way. To be honest, I am rather offended by people who question me about this.

I am simply a teenage girl who chooses to ignore her parents' heritage, racial stigmatism, or any of the myopic, stereotypical prejudices one wishes to impose. That's their problem, not mine.
To be frank, you could not pay me enough to care what slave ship brought my fathers family from Ethiopia. Nor can I feel a pang of sorrow when relatives tell me of my ancestors' hardships when they immigrated to America. I know it sounds harsh. And yes, in a way, it bothers me. But, it is the truth.

I did realize that my father was the same color crayon in my crayon box, brown. But it hadn't occurred to me that he was African- American until the age of seven when a classmate asked, “Why doesn’t your daddy look like your mommy?” My initial reaction was to shake my head and argue that my father looked just like anyone else's father.
How could it could be possible that he was different. He coached my biddy ball team, sat through my two hour Christmas concerts, cooked when mom was away. At that age, some children have yet to learn the difference between doing and being.
That night, at dinner, I saw my parents differently. With my recent discovery, I slowly began to understand that I was biracial, and supposedly different, just like my dad.

As I grew older and went through Catholic school, teachers asked if I celebrated Kwanza. Some classmates called me cookie dough, and parents asked me about Black History Month.
No, I do not celebrate Kwanza, nor does my dad. In my opinion, Kwanza is a recently created black Christmas to build more of a barricade, to separate, not for reasons of heritage, or being different in a positive way.

I did, at one time, let people nickname me because of my skin color. My own mother even took the
liberty of calling me peanut butter. But now, since I have been questioning and thinking, being called peanut butter, Reese cup, and mocha bear, offends me. Or when people say that I am mixed, I feel like yelling. I am not a beverage, so how can I be mixed?

I believe Black History Month, along with other months dedicated to a specific group, should be prohibited. There is no need to focus on a particular group for an entire month. Instead, parents, teachers, and media should discuss historical interests throughout the year.
Historian, Carter G. Woodson’s original Black Awareness Week ,was intended to help others envision a better future through an identity of their past. But now, his vision has become a pop culture phenomenon, which corporate America has been quick to exploit. During the last Super Bowl, for example, several corporate commercials specifically mentioned Black History Month, and how much they honored it.
Another injustice of our nation is affirmative action. On September 24, 1965, the executive order number 11246 required federal contractors, “Take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, or
national origin.” With affirmative action, employers are being asked to hire less qualified workers and in some instances for more money. Title II of the Act prohibited discrimination in privately owned businesses and facilities opened to the public. In Title VI of the Act, it prohibited discrimination in federally funded programs. Title VII prohibited discrimination by both private and public employers. During the Civil Rights Era, affirmative action was created to abolish racial imbalances in hiring policies. Affirmative action was later extended to include college admissions and governmental contracts.

Today, affirmative action is a controversial matter facing our equal rights status of individual rights. As I have just recently explained, the idea and hope that affirmative action implemented was that America would truly become equal. So far, this hope and dream of equality has lasted thirty years and has yet to resolve any of our current problems concerning equal rights-it has made things worse. This act was created with intention of using reverse discrimination to resolve discrimination. With this, minority groups are being chosen over qualifications of other workers.

Affirmative action is also influential in the educational system. In some college admissions, minority students who may have never been accepted into a decent college, are now getting accepted. With this, the American people believe that this will end all racism on school campuses, creating diversity among students. The United States constitution states that all Americans are created equal. Therefore, I believe if we are created equal, shouldn’t we all have the same opportunity as everyone else?

Finally, Black Entertainment Television, commonly known as BET, creates a stereotypical outlook on the African American culture. Founded by Robert L. Johnson in 1980, the network showed movies, television series, and music to target an African American audience. BET justifies racism by pressing personal and broad generalizations about African Americans, affecting how many young viewers see the African American culture. Many generalizations include being womanizers, promiscuous, nuisances to society, and opposing integration.

This network contributes to the stereotypical diet of African Americans: fried chicken, cherry Kool-Aid, and soul food. BET also neglects the fact that most African Americans do not find people of Caucasian heritage as the bad guys or the nerds. Also, BET would like to portray the ‘injustices’ of being an American citizen who happens to be of African descent. For example, if one were to create a new television franchise called White Entertainment Television, or more commonly known as WET, people would assume it would be promoting white supremacy. BET exploits and manipulates the depiction of an African American’s daily life, which is why the network should be renamed or taken out of your basic cable lineup.

Why do Americans feel that they have conquered racism and prejudice? Granted, from that spark that Rosa Parks lit, to the election of Barrack Obama, is one giant leap for mankind. However, we are not even in spitting distance of erasing racial bigotry.

I notice it among my peers when they say, “I would never date a black guy.” Or, “They only like your dad because he’s the only black man they know.” Even, “I’m going through a black guy phase. I have to date one.”

When people mention things like these, intuition tells me it starts in the home. Where else would one learn behavior and comments of that nature? Social prejudice is not innate. It has to be predisposed. If one truly wishes to stop the idea of seeing race, it must start within themselves.

Growing up I've realized the world is colder than it used to be. People still hate people for their race and religion, so how can we say we've come so far?

Anaise11 SILVER, Randolph, Massachusetts

You know you've found the right one when instead of falling in love, they are holding you upright~ Past love experiences

To Maryon, not all of the other 11 months are focused on white people. September is commonly celebrated as National Hispanic Month. And March is Women's Month too, focusing on women of all races and ethnicities. 

And I don't think that Black people have had their freedom, justice, and equality taken from them necessarily. I mean, we have a Black president now so I think that we have a lot more to stand behind than drugs, crime, and ignorance. And honestly, I think that now, with all the opportunities we have, the only people that can hold us back are ourselves. 

Which is why I can understand silence21's frustration with BET because they do promote the stereotypical image of Black people. I mean, as a Black person, I'd like to see more people of color in more feature films as more than just the comedian or funny, outspoken supporting role. I'd want to see them as the spy undercover or playing the vampire next door. And it doesn't help that many Black actors (besides Denzel Washington) can only receive roles as those characters or in movies made black producers like Tyler Perry. 

So I think that in those terms, it's more of a deal with what you can get sort of thing. I do appreciate BET for giving those Black actors a place where they can be recognized for their talent however they could broaden the range of talent a little better. 

As for the matter of Black History Month, I do appreciate the fact that our ancestor's actions are specially recognized. I don't see it as a way to segregate people, I just see it as a way to honor the struggles that Black people had to overcome in this country. Not to say that other people had not struggled, but in terms of an entire people, Blacks along with other groups, have had to struggle a lot more than others. Their accomplishments have happened throughout the months and the years so I'm not sure why February was so special lol.

But I see where you're coming from silence21 and your post reminds me of something my Ethics teacher said. "There is no race other than the human race." So I hope that you and I can one day see the day when people open their eyes and don't see stereotypes or images or inferiority but just human beings :)

Hi! My dad and I had an argument about different races marrying. I'm white and I really wouldn't care if a guy was black, what does it matter if you're in love, right? And he was all like Well the kids of interracial couples are always picked on and blah blah blah...so I guess he was just saying that we have to plan our lives around other peoples bigotry? Ugh.

So anyways, I love your article, very well written

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Well, thank you and than you for listening to my story

CourtneyHammett BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
This article is beautifully written. I have loved hearing your story. I am touched by it, because I encounter opposition because my boyfriend is Mexican. I love his heritage, but my entire family is against it. I wish I had pride in my Irish, German, and Cherokee heritage the way he has pride in his.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Nick

I can respect that

=)

Nick_Xao BRONZE, Roseville, California

"I'm alive again, more alive than I have been my whole entire life I can, see these people's ears perk up as I begin to spazz with a pen"
-Eminem

They're not "expected to". In fact, many people just discard it, letting America become their main culture. But some of us like to honor their family's heritage, not in a "superior" sense, but just as a remembrance of who you are and where you came from.

Lilliterra said...

I'm a white person, and I'm just wondering- why are minorities always expected to observe some kind of cultural heritage, while others are not? I've never even thought about celebrating Irish or German heritage, and no one asks me if I do. And I know that the German side of my family has been in America much shorter than most black families.

The reason I say "black" not "African American", is because, they're not African, they're American! No one calls me, "European American". And no one cringes if they have to observe the obvious fact that my skin is white.

Allison said...
Your article is certainly well-intentioned. I want to make one correction: Rosa Parks did not refuse to give up her seat for the reason you state. Ms. Parks was part of an activist group that made the decision with her to take this action. Although the myth makes her sound more sympathetic, I supposed, such a tactic is unnecessary. Ms. Parks was a brave woman who made a public statement using the political weight of the NAACP and anti-racism advocates. It is important that you and everyone who writes about her acknowledge the agency exercised by Ms. Parks on that day. She is too important a figure to be mythologized.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you so much, that means a lot. =)

CocoBelle BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

your biggest mistake is to be afraid of making mistakes!

I appreciate you to the highest degree for this.Many don't know how people still turn their noses up on us(african american descents)

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I would actually love to make a blog, but I feel that I am mildly compute/Internet challenged. lol

Thank you for reading my piece and I hope you enjoyed it as much as you said.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I know people who could be poster children too and then they want to know why people make stereotypes and why they feel they are treated differently. I feel that they are doing it to themselves, and if they wish for the stereotypes to stop, they should take what you just said into consideration.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

TxDragon

Thank you for looking into that, it really changes things. It honestly does. And to Maryon, I feel that having a month makes no sense. We dont have 'White months' we have months and you should excpet that. People are not out to get other people.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Whoo! Yay attention grabbing lines. =)

I feel like such a dork for getting excited about your comment, but I feel I must be doing something right!

Thanks so much

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I thank you for your comment. I will definetly (sp?) be reading that book as soon as I can. It sounds like an interesting read =)

Thanks

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you daffe. I see we have something in common =)

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you =)

I feel you, I really do. And I'm happy you do not dwell on your ancestors struggles. I hope that came out right and not mean.

Again, thanks so much. You're improving my writing abilities.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

Thank you very much, and I see where you are coming from with many of your views. However, I choose to feel how I feel and I'm not trying to get rid of my culture but to get rid of the negative attention brought to it. I wish everyone could be equal and have a clean slate no matter what happened to them or their relatives and that they should be viewed as just people.

Again, thank you for your comment. I appreciate your feeback, it helps to improve my future writing.

Nick_Xao BRONZE, Roseville, California

-Eminem

I'll start off with the good: Your article is well-written, well thought out, and I very much respect your opinion because you sound intelligent and reasonable. I understand and sympathize with your frustration of BET, the stereo-types of celebrating one particular holiday, even if you don't. They are an unfortunate representation of your culture, and I completely understand what its like to feel pigeon-holed and frustrated with the mass stereotypes of your culture.

But I'm afraid I very much disagree with you, on most points. You shouldn't turn your back on your culture to rid yourself of those prejudices. You cannot control how those people think or feel, and no matter what you do, if you don't care about the hardships of your ancestors, it will not change them. I think you should embrace your culture, embrace who you are, no matter what that means, and be proud of it. Your culture and up-bringing are so much a part of who you are, even if you don't realize it. You sound very strong and intelligent: don't let what others think of you make you turn your back on something that could be very significant to you.

MaryJ said...

Have you ever thought about starting your own organization? Could you possibly start changing the world one person at a time

I enjoyed this piece and hope to see more.