Systemic Racism In America | Teen Ink

Systemic Racism In America

By exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida
exuseetim GOLD, Boca Raton, Florida

Interested in earning a good grade? Believe in the existence of systemic racism. Recent trending news in the United States has involved a Massachusetts high school forcing its students to accept the concept of systemic racism in a history assignment. As people debate the righteousness of this decision, racism has garnered public attention once again in the wake of the epoch-making BLM movement. From its origins in the landing of the colonists in Plymouth, racism in America has ubiquitously prevailed in nearly every facet of society; accordingly, people of color have experienced all forms of discrimination psychologically, economically, and subconsciously. Systemic racism still exists ideologically and imperils the actualization of economic freedom and racial equality despite recent advancements toward eradicating racism in the United States.

Racism exists in numerous forms and controls society psychologically so ubiquitously that it divides people into opposing groups. Moreover, people often experience racial discrimination, but fail to recognize it, as racism exists in various degrees. John Rice, the CEO of Management Leadership for Tomorrow, in an article in The Atlantic, contends that racism has “three degrees,” including overtly oral discrimination, opposition to anti-racism efforts, and failure to realize the racism that people actually have (Rice). This theory explains how racism exists and prevails in American society, as different degrees of racism exert varying impacts. Rice’s explication of third-degree racism reveals the nature of racism, which Rice compares to “involuntary manslaughter.” Even worse, third-degree racism is so common that it leaves people unable to distinguish and root out true racism. Such an ideological phenomenon not only exists in peoples’ minds but also indirectly controls peoples’ objectivity. From a psychological perspective, it is justifiable and natural for people of the same ethnicity to group with each other, which underscores the concept of the mere-exposure effect (i.e., the tendency for people to develop a preference for those who are similar to them). This is due to previous exposure to faces and behaviors of people of the same race, and people are more prone to open themselves to such groups. This eventually forms the groupings of different races within society. As history progressed, this phenomenon not only contributed to groupings of similar people but also fostered antagonistic attitudes toward other groups. Racism, therefore, stems from human beings’ natural tendencies, which incidentally control society psychologically. For instance, Robin DiAngelo explores the scope of racism in the society “whose structures and institutions perpetuate it while being unwilling to acknowledge the impact that it has on individuals and communities (Robin).” The group identities derived from racism and the stereotypes that people hold towards other groups exist in human beings’ minds, where racism divides people into different hostile groups in society. Without recognizing this issue, people naturally exclude people of different races, refuse to embrace different racial identities, and hold racist beliefs towards other groups. 

In addition to psychological influences, racism causes wage inequality and employment disparities and impedes society from advancing. Since the inception of America, the institution of slavery was used to exploit minorities’ interests; such a system was created solely to maximize the economic interests of the wealthy. Even though slavery was abolished following the promulgation of the 13th Amendment, racism never ceased to end. Instead, it continued to affect minorities' economic opportunities. Based on research conducted by Valerie Wilson from Economic Policy Institute, blacks are more likely to receive a lower wage even with the same level of education, age, gender, and geographic division, compared to whites.  Additionally, even with the same objective factors that may influence the performance of the job seeker, blacks still face a disadvantage when it comes to salary. This is due to the existence of one’s subconscious subjectivity and internal racism. Not only do average wages differ from race to race, according to official estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but also black people have been approximately “half as likely to secure employment during a consecutive four-week period than white job seekers” since 1972 (Wilson). Even during periods of both economic expansion and recession, African Americans are considered inferior to their white counterparts when companies hire people. In other words, it is consistently demonstrated by empirical data that black job applicants are less likely to be employed in a similar job as whites due to systemic racism in the labour market. Furthermore, based on the regression model in tracking wage differences and unemployment rates, the black-white wage gap was approximately 12% in 2020. Moreover, the black unemployment rate was higher than that of whites by 3.1%, and both are predicted to increase. Because of the existence of racism, people tend to hold prejudiced views toward others, and such subjectivity is projected to influence the job opportunities of minorities. Racism, however, not only economically affects minorities, but also society as a whole. According to The New York Times, researchers estimate that economic output could have been “$16 trillion higher since 2000 if racial gaps had been closed” (Lisa D. Cook). Thus, racial discrimination against minority groups indeed impedes people from fulfilling their full potential in developing the United States and increasing living standards for all Americans. Many Americans, however, fail to recognize this phenomenon, for as long as racism continues to exist, their interests will continue to be taken away indirectly.

Granted, some people argue that the United States has been executing actions in rooting out racism, and racism is disappearing in America. Since the Emancipation Proclamation, which held that “all persons held as slaves are, and henceforward shall be free,” the legislative and executive branches of the United States have been advancing towards abolishing racism in the country. For instance, the Civil Rights Act and the 13th amendment were designed to promote the civil rights of African Americans. With such legislation and executive orders, it is obvious that the United States has been trying to eliminate systemic racism since the 18th century, and considering the complex impact of slavery on the culture, history, and economy of the United States, it is not possible to end racism without changing people’s minds and encouraging them to ideologically accept these laws. However, these laws fail to resolve racial segregation, which still divides people into different groups. For instance, Race Against Time by Sandra Neil Wallace examines the truth behind the Elanie Massacre of 1919 civil rights case, when a juror was asked why she refused to champion and vote for the truth. Wallace analyzes the public psychology towards racism and notes that “the feeling against them [blacks] was so strong and so universal that it was unanimous and no man could have sat upon a jury in any of these cases and have voted for acquittal and remained in Helena afterwards” (Wallace 74). Even with all of the official legal orders, people still hold hostile attitudes towards black people, and white supremacy still dominates society, such that equality and freedom cannot be achieved. Until contemporary times, the United States government has been promulgating legal orders in combating systemic racism, as demonstrated by Executive Order (EO) 13985. This memorandum orders condemning racism against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPI), and includes the commission of a Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer (CDIO). Such a trend in addressing racial inequality underscores the government’s endeavors toward changing the situation, but systemic racism still exists subconsciously in peoples’ minds. One of the most epoch-making events that certify the severe nature of racism in society is the death of George Floyd. Because of the prejudice and discrimination that the police officer had against black people, the officer intentionally killed George Floyd based on videotapes from the crime scene. The officer, however, after conducting an inhumane killing, was bailed out of jail for $1 million. Similar events happen frequently in the United States, and these events demonstrate the fact that when it comes to most cases, the United States still fails to root out racism in society. Racism, therefore, is impossible to eliminate as long as Americans still ideologically hold an antagonistic attitude toward people of color.  

In today’s age, systemic racism is immersed in almost every aspect of American society, as it controls peoples’ minds with regard to ideology and the economy. With the verification of all aforementioned sources, it is indisputable that racism exists, has an impact on people, and is projected to continue as long as people comprehensively fail to understand what racism is. In short, racism is not necessarily about verbal insults or physical violence, but the ideology of opposing other groups’ racial identities. Such an ideology cannot be overturned until people recognize the existence of systemic racism within society and how everyone is possibly racist in every possible way. Through such an awareness of racism, people can eventually see through the nature of racism and embrace all racial identities. To a greater extent, without the extermination of racism in the United States, the country will not advance into a democratic country and actualize economic equality and spiritual freedom for all its citizens.

Work cited

Robin, Diangelo.  “RACISM AND SPECIFIC RACIAL GROUPS.” Counterpoints, vol. 497, Peter Lang AG, 2016, pp. 299–327. Accessed 9 February 2022.

jstor.org/stable/45157311.

Rice, John. “The Difference Between First-Degree Racism and Third-Degree Racism.” The Atlantic, 21 June 2020. Accessed 9 February 2022.

theatlantic.com/business/archive/2020/06/three-degrees-racism-america/613333/

Cook D. Lisa. “Racism Impoverishes the Whole Economy.” The New York Times, 18  November 2020. Accessed 9 February 2022.

nytimes.com/2020/11/18/business/racism-impoverishes-the-whole-economy.html

Wilson Valerie. “Racism and the Economy.” The Economic Policy Institute, 21 November             2020. Accessed 9 February 2022.

epi.org/blog/racism-and-the-economy-fed/

National Archives. “The Emancipiation and Proclamation. ” National Archives, Accessed 9 February 2022.

archives.gov/exhibits/featured-documents/emancipation-proclamation

The United States, Office of the Press Secretary. “Fact Sheet: U.S. Efforts to Combat Systemic Racism.” The White House, 21 March, 2021, Accessed 9 February 2022.

whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/03/21/fact-sheet-   u-s-efforts-to-combat-systemic-racism/

Wallace Neil Sandra, and  Wallace Rich. “Race Against Time.” Calkins Creek, 5 January 2021.