Does It/ | Teen Ink

Does It/

April 6, 2009
By Anonymous

Many people say that the media has a huge influence on the public. Do you agree or disagree? Me, I agree and disagree. It depends on the person. Some music lyrics can be extremely vulgar, such as the one I am listing to as I write this. Certain movies and television shows depict things that are inappropriate. Some people do not realize the great influence the media has on people. I for one believe that just because the songs lyrics are inappropriate the song should still be listened to. I believe that people need to know right from wrong. As long as you know right from wrong, the lyrics in a song should make no difference. Should the people who write these lyrics be more careful with what they choose to write about? Of course they should. If a parent dose not instill the correct values in a child then they may have the right to change the station when this comes on, but in a situation where the child understands that it is just words, that theses things should not be taken literally, well then there is no problem in letting them listen to the radio station and music of their choice now is their?

The author's comments:
What made me think about this, was the fact that whenever I was in the car with my cousin and a song came on the radio with something she didn't like, she changed the station! Then i would get a whole speech on how the media influences people.