Teachers Should Be Able to Carry Guns to Protect Their Students | Teen Ink

Teachers Should Be Able to Carry Guns to Protect Their Students

By BeNachos BRONZE, London, Ontario
BeNachos BRONZE, London, Ontario

Teachers should be able to carry guns to protect their students. They could save dozens of lives. It is more affordable for the schools than other protection alternatives. This doesn’t mean just any teacher would walk around with a gun in their pocket. Without teachers having guns students might be at risk.

Many lives could be saved if just a few teachers had guns. Let’s say there is a school shooter. If a teacher has a gun they could fire at the shooter eliminating the problem immediately. However, if teachers could not have guns a shooter would walk in and start firing, and the students would be left defenceless. Sorry teachers, but in this situation using your words won’t do too much. The average response time for police during a shooting is four minutes. A teacher could end their reign of terror much quicker than the police could.

Arming teachers would cost schools less than other security options such as security guards. An armed security guard that would be effective against a shooter could cost 135-190 US dollars a day. With just a few days of a security guard’s pay you could arm a teacher. School boards would much rather spend that excess money on education rather than a security guard who would not have much of a purpose on most days. Arming teachers could save money for schools.

Some people may say that a teacher might go crazy and shoot students, or leave a gun in reach or view of a student. While a teacher has threatened students with a gun once at Dalton High School, the only injury was a student who hurt her ankle when she was running. Chances are at a High School, somebody might have a minor injury like that daily. As well the argument that a teacher might leave a gun on their desk or holstered to their belt is an extremely unrealistic belief. If a teacher is qualified to own a gun they should most likely have the common sense to put it in a safe space. Teachers will still have to go through training to carry a gun, like any other person. Therefore, students can feel safe if a teacher has a gun.

For every minute a shooter is in a school dozens of students could die. Schools could save lives and money. Every life matters as much as the next. One of those kids could be your brother, your sister, your cousin, your best friend. A teacher could be your Mom, Your Dad, your Aunt, your Uncle. So I ask you, what is more important? The small chance a teacher could have a mental breakdown, or one of their lives? Teachers need guns to keep students safe.