School Violence | Teen Ink

School Violence

January 26, 2017
By anthonydriver BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
anthonydriver BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Donald Trump,

   

My name is Anthony and I am currently a senior in high school in Georgia. Out of all the issues the United States is currently facing, is the violence occurring in schools. I think violence in schools should be taken more seriously. The issue matters to the world because we need new leaders to, know the way, show the way, and go the way. Parents and other adults think it shouldn’t happen because it put innocent lives at risk. There are a few ways to prevent violence in schools such as metal detectors, more security, more cameras, and even armed guards.


Generally speaking, there are two ways people deal with bullying, suicide or violence which can lead to homicide. In Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold’s case, they unleashed their anger on the unsuspecting victims of Columbine High School, April 20, 1999. 12 students were killed in what is known today as the Columbine Massacre. It was believed that these two did this as a result from bullying. 1 in 4 students are bullied across the United States, and 64% of those victims have never reported it to an adult.

  

Teachers and staff that go to work every day shouldn’t have to go to work and worry about what a student might just do to harm somebody else they go there to teach and educate kids not to break up fights and be part of the conflict of another student. Everyone is at risk when it comes to violence, even teachers themselves. There are times when a child might harm a teacher because they don’t like them or just to get attention. When there is a substitute in class kids decide to act out and there are times when that substitute and a student may get into a little mix up and somebody end up hurt.

   

Overall, there are many ways to slow the process of violence, but there is no solid solution.Weak community relations start school violence. Maybe there is some things that civilians can do in their community to help out and prevent the violence in schools. Many students haven’t come into contact with people from these backgrounds before, and this creates suspicion and wariness. It’s highly unlikely violence will occur if they have been in contact with people from these backgrounds before. Parental guidance in the home has a large effect on school violence. If a student’s parents are violent or prejudiced, they are likely to develop the same aggressive characteristics. Even if there’s only one person like this in a school, it can still lead to violence in the classroom

 

Overall, it’s not so much the risk factors of violence which become the problem. It’s the lack of will to act on it when it does happen. It’s impossible to stamp out all types of violence. Children make mistakes and it will happen. To stop it happening again, schools and community officers must act.

 

Sincerely, Anthony