Refugees: Is it Worth Leaving? | Teen Ink

Refugees: Is it Worth Leaving?

By ebs22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ebs22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Since war has erupted in some countries, millions have fled their country, ending up away from their homes. Refugees having to leave their home is debated often because people have very different opinions whether it is good or bad for them to leave and go to other countries. Some people may say that it is good for them to get out of the war and be safe. On the other hand, others may argue against that and think it is hard for the refugees to leave because they will miss their home, have to get used to very new things out of their comfort zone. This essay will help to explain why it is hard for refugees to leave their country.

A reason why it is hard for refugees to leave is they do not have any other choice, and they are forced to leave their homes and go to a safer place. In the article, “A farm in Chicago? African and Asian refugees love their small, green space,” the author included Linda Seyler saying “These are the people who never chose to leave their homes; they were kicked out.” That highlights how it is not very easy for refugees to go away from their country.

Have you ever been separated from your family or friends?  That can be a challenge for many. In the article, “Two Syrian sisters swim to safety from their war-torn country,” it talks a lot about how the sisters have to part from their friends and family. For example, the author says “Sarah is battling government rules to bring the rest of the family to Germany.” That explains how it is hard for them to not get separated. Another piece of evidence from the same article is, “Some of their friends got arrested at borders, and expensive tickets they bought proved worthless.” That is important because the sisters have to face other consequences like not having friends and family when it wasn’t necessarily their choice to leave their home.

When refugees go to other countries they feel like they do not belong and no one helps them to feel more comfortable. Refugees feel like waste when they go to other places and know people do not want to help. For instance, Japan does not think they need to help. “Many in Japan think the Syrian Refugee Crisis is not their responsibility.” (from article, “Japan watches refugee crisis in Europe and wonders how to help”).  This quote shows that if refugees know that then they definitely will not want to go. It may be true that it isn’t other countries responsibility but when refugees go to other countries they don’t like it and that makes them just miss their home even more. They need help and not too many countries are stepping up to help so therefore it is very hard for them to leave. Refugees don’t feel the satisfactory they should get.

Others may say people are helping make refugees more at home by putting some of their everyday lifestyles into their lives, such as Chicago making greenspace areas for the refugees. The green spaces really help the refugees feel better about themselves. “When I get here, I am so happy.” Said Matun Mint. (From article, “A farm in Chicago? African and Asian refugees love their small, green space”). At the same time the refugees need a lot of help such as education, language and more. That is a lot of work for not only the refugees but the people trying to help them. For instance, the article, “Japan watches refugee crisis and wonders how to help,” says “And refugees need language and other help, so they’d be a big burden on Japanese people, that’s why it’s a problem.” That proves how it may be good for the refugees to get to safety but they have hard times catching up to other cultures.

In summary, the refugee crisis is hard for both the refugees and the government, but it is very good for them to get to safety and not be in their war-torn country. Overall, it is really hard for the refugees to come in general. They have to go through all sorts of obstacles like the government and transportation just to get to a safe country. Refugees get split from their family and friends, they miss their home and more. Refugees have to go through so much stress like learning languages and trying to stay with their family. The significance of this topic is that the refugee crisis is all over that world and is making a huge difference to not just the community but the world. The refugees are going wherever they can and sometimes that does not work as well as they wish. That is important because it is hard for them to leave their home and it is starting to be a big issue all around the world.