Should Refugees Be Allowed to Enter the United States? | Teen Ink

Should Refugees Be Allowed to Enter the United States?

By ach22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ach22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

There is a stranger at the door and they walk into a house and stay without asking.  How would that feel?  Most people would be furious because no one should be able to walk into a house uninvited.  This is similar to the refugees accepting themselves into the United States.  The debate on whether or not letting refugees into the United States is a hot and ongoing topic.  Both sides to the topic bring different ideas to the table.  Despite that, many articles support the fact that refugees should not be allowed into the United States.

Firstly, refugees should not be allowed into the country because most evidence supports the fact that the government does not know where to put these refugees when they come.  The United States does not need tents lining the streets or refugees on park benches.  One text states, “They sleep on floor stations.  The question is how to care for these refugees?”  writes Anne-Marie Slaughter, an international lawyer, and a foreign policy analyst.  Individuals who are for refugees may say to only let a couple in. On the other hand, other people may seek to refuge because they notice other people doing it, and that is why there are millions of refugees in the United States.  “In El Salvador, at least 135,00 people were forced to leave their homes.”  writes Alberto Arce and Michael Weissenstein in the article, “U.N. Pushes for Migrants to be called Refugees.”  Forced?  That may seem like a very harsh word.  Instead of sending a plethora of people to the United States, put the resources in El Salvador or take the people who are causing mischief out of the country.  “If you really care about those people in Syria, why not take and put the resources in Syria instead of bringing hundreds of thousands of Syrians here?”  South Carolina governor, Nikki Haley asks regarding Syrian refugee crisis.

Furthermore, refugees should not be allowed into the United States because most refugees come into the United States illegally.  In the article, Central American Turmoil May Cause Child Migrant Surge, Tim Johnson writes about a method (coyotes) to cross the border illegally, “Coyotes are human guides who help people illegally cross the border.  The only way they can do this is to travel with coyotes working with crime groups.”  Most of these refugees are children.  Another example is from an article by Alberto Arce and Michael Weissenstein,  “The United States has seen a big increase in number of central Americans coming illegally.”  The dictionary defines united as, “joined together politically, for common purpose.”  This means all the people have the same rules to follow.  Why should the government allow refugees into the United States if most refugees can not abide by the laws of the United States?  That takes away the entire purpose of being the United States of America.

Finally, refugees should not be allowed into the United States because fighters could sneak in with the real refugees.  In the article, Pro/Con Should U.S. Stop Syrian Refugees From Coming In, Don Kusler writes about the dangers of letting refugees into the States, “The United States is now fighting Islamic State in Syria.  Many worry that Islamic State fighters could attack this country.  The governors of some states agree that letting refugees into the Unites States is a bad idea, the governors in 31 states are not going along with his plan. They do not want Syrian refugees in the States they lead.  They worry that Islamic State fighters could sneak in with the real refugees.” How can people blame these governors after an abundance of other attacks that have occurred all over the world and, even some in the United States?

Nevertheless, the refugee crisis is still debatable.  One side of this topic wants to welcome refugees into the United States because they have encountered war and violence that people do not see in their everyday lives.  However the opposing side to not let refugees into the states offers other ideas such as, not knowing where to put all the refugees when they come to the country, most refugees come in to the states illegally, and fighters could sneak in with the real refugees.  Refugees should not be allowed into the United States, and there are a variety of crucial reasons why they should not.  Though in there could be another way, “The states are saying we are not going to accept any more of these refugees until the United States comes up with an efficient vetting program,” Steve Peoples writes.

Whether or not to let refugees into the United States is an involved and complex topic.  Both sides present different visions that make this topic so fierce and competitive.  However, several texts support the fact that refugees should not be allowed into the country.  By not letting refugees into the country means that the people will have more security and safety, and that is what many Americans want. If the government allows refugees enter the United States, the safety of the people will be unpredictable. Do citizens of the United States truly want to risk their safety?