Syrian Refugees | Teen Ink

Syrian Refugees

By arb22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
arb22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

A lot of people argue about Syrian refugees and if the United States should help or not.  The definition of a refugee is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.  The violence and how there is no escape to this.  How some have lives for themselves and that everyone is losing hope, or even the numbers that are involved.  Others might say that the we should not spend so much money on this issue, or that some people are not being truthful.  But, people died, do you want more to die?

One reason why refugees should be helped is because there is no escape from the violence.  Without letting refugees into our country, hundreds of millions of people will die and not get a chance to have a education or a life.  “Decent life where they won’t cower and live in fear.”   (page 2) of “A Home Lost, A Home Found: Syrian Refugees Find Way To Chicago.”   A adapted article by Newsela.  Many of refugees have families and children and if someone does not help them, they will all be gone.  “The United Nations estimate that at least 250,000 people have been killed during the four-year war in Syria.” (Page 2).  “Within five months, the violence caught up to them.  Fatima Adris’ eldest brother was shot in the street, and her father was also shot.”  (page 1) Of  “A Home Lost A Home Found: Syrian Refugees Fine Way To Chicago.”  A adapted article by Newsela.

Another reason why refugees should be let into the country is because they are real people with life of their own and houses of their own.  “They made a good home for themselves.  He worked as a painter, and she went to school to learn English.”  (Page 1) Of “A Home Lost, A Home Found: Syrian refugees Find Way To Chicago.”  A adapted article by Newsela.  These people want what anyone else wants, a normal life where they do not have to be scared to go outside or even to be in their homes.  “My house when… it was destroyed over our heads,” said Fadi Adris, recalling the bomb that demolished the family home.  So began their four-year flight to flee Syria’s Brutal civil war and find safety.”  (Page 1) “A Home Lost, A Home Found: Syrian Refugees Find Way To Chicago.”  A adapted article by Newsela.

There are so many reasons why Syrian refugees should be helped, like the numbers.  A lot of numbers do not always mean a bad thing, in this case, they mean the amount of people.  “The United States will accept 85,000 migrants from around the world next year, up from the 70,000 permitted.  By 2017 the total for the year will rise 100,000.” (Page 1) “U.S Will Accept More Refugees But Security Rules Will Limit How Many.”A adapted article by Newsela.  A lot of these people may think that the refugees are mostly grown-ups.  But more than half of the refugees are children.  A adapted article by Newsela, “Is A Migrant Really A Refugee's?”  (page 2).  Says, “more than 52,000 unaccompanied children have been caught almost every year and growing.”

On the other hand a lot of people are worried about some Syrian refugees because we do not know if they are possible terrorist.  The article “A Home Lost, A Home Found: Some Syrian Refugees Find Way To Chicago,” adapted by Newsela, said, “The United States Government worries that members of the Islamic State group, known as Isis, might slip in among those trying to escape the violence,” (page 2).  But we can not assume that everyone is a terrorist or that they are out to get someone.  The United States do  background checks on everyone that they bring into the country.  The United States is supposed to the land of the free, but if they do not give anyone a chance, they will not expanded or stay true to the points. 

The issue of not letting refugees into the United States is that a lot of people will and are dying.  There is no doubt that there is a money issues or issues of people lying.  But everyone always says that you can not buy life and that life is worth no amount of money.  Again, the definition of a refugee is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.  It should be a priority to build up the money, to bring and check people into our country.  If you were in a refugee's situation, where you were being forced out of somewhere but knew that someone could help you, you would want them to help, as much as possible.