When in Ohio | Teen Ink

When in Ohio

By Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas
Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission! -Unknown-

In the little North Western State of Ohio, is an old town. Sitting on the border of Ohio and Kentucky, and established in 1788, with a modern population of an estimate of 296,000, and declining, is Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is a beautiful city. With skyscrapers, and botanical gardens, even museums, and zoos. In one particular zoo, lived a Gorilla. And of all the 296,000 and declining population of this beautiful city, a little boy, age 3 or 4, (depending on your source), unbeknownst to his parents fell into the Gorilla's cage. Sending a Chicago Fire of hate, and outrage through not just this city, but the ENTIRE U.S.A. 

How did this child escape his mother's eye, and slip into a Gorilla's grasp?

What really happened?

Well, that is something the media is not going to tell us. Liberal reporters are going to blame to people. The Conservatives are going to blame the animal, the beast, the creature only acting on instinct. The child, a victim in all this, has no say. The child didn't know what was happening either.

He is still a baby.

What do we know?

We know that the Gorilla, a 17-year-old, 450lbs, Western Lowland named Harambe. That is a known species to be endangered of extinction. This particular gorilla inhabits many areas of the African Regions. Including, Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, and the Republic of Congo. They are not known to be Territorial but favor certain areas of their home. Though other groups of Gorillas travel in larger groups, the Western Gorilla, prefers smaller groups. The average family will have 4 to 8 members. Like most groupings of mammals, there is an Alpha male. Male Gorillas are known to be competitive towards each other, especially with a lady around. But this is in their natural habitat.

What about Harambe? He was in captivity. Well, when the Gorilla in question is in captivity, their behavior is different than that of their wild brothers. When in captivity, animals experience a higher level of stress. This can effect the psychological and attitude problems. It effects the reproduction, reduces immune systems, and even the growth hormones, increase in body weight, heightened, abnormal activities, and even
Aggression.

The normally chill and down to earth Gorilla, can become a highly aggressive, and dangerous creature when held in a pen, and forced to be confined. I know I wouldn't like that. No one would like to be cooped up in the house all day. That makes everyone, even the devoted Introvert to get a bit stir crazy.

Stress in Gorillas occurs when there is an excess of sounds, lighting, odors, temperature, humidity, the material makeup of their habitats, lack of proper hiding places, forced close proximity to humans, habitat size, routine husbandry, and feedings, or abnormal social groups. Stress can happen to anyone, anything, and each individual deals with it differently. Being a dumb (not mentally but in the fact that Gorillas haven't mastered the art of speech), this can make things worse.

Enter the Toddler.

I am not taking sides. I see there are a lot of wrongs here. The parents were in the wrong. The Zookeepers, everyone. The other observers. True, it wouldn't be smart charging into an exhibit where there are now 10 gorillas, all outweighing the average human male. There had to be another way. A better solution. Better enclosure so no one falls in again? I don't know.

Onto the Toddler.

This little boy was probably so excited to see a strange, exotic animal. He was enjoying the day, and then, somehow, he winds up in the grasp of a giant. Imagine for a minute. Falling. then smack. Everything is blurred, you can't tell left from right, or even discern where you are. Then, you are moving. You can't breathe, you are cold, and something has a grip on your ankle. You little, toddler mind is trying to make sense of things, but it hurts, there is a terrible throbbing at the back of your head, and it smacks into a hard substance. Then you stop moving, you can breathe again. You blink, once twice, and there looming over you, is Kojak from Tarzan. You feel your heart pounding in your chest. You are not sure whether to cry, scream in terror, or run. You wonder where your mother is. You wonder how you got there. What was going on? No time for answers. The gorilla grabs you again, and you are in the water again, trying to breathe.

How long have you been in here?
What was happening?
Today had been so amazing, and now it was so terrible.
Where are my mom and dad?
Toddlers do not understand the concept of Death. They do not understand when things take on complex meanings. No one does.
And
Gorillas do not understand humans. In the turnabout manner, We humans do not understand Gorillas.