The Myth of Moral Relativism | Teen Ink

The Myth of Moral Relativism

By Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin
Daniel.W.Evensen PLATINUM, Eagle River, Wisconsin

Isaiah 40:31
Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength, they will run and not be faint, walk and not be weary.

Dear Editor,

Hello. My name is Daniel E. and I am a freshman in high school. Lately, we have been discussing ‘social-isms’ such as racism, ageism and sexism. I have been thinking about another ‘social-ism’ quite prevalent in our society. That ‘ism’ is moral relativism. Moral relativism is a dangerous ideology that has very destructive fruit because its claims are not made from facts. If we do not hold tightly to the unchanging and infallible truth of the Bible, we will morally bankrupt this nation.

Moral relativism is the idea that truth is subjective to one‘s individual preferences. In his book How to Stay Christian In College, J. Budziszewski explains are three ways to approach moral relativism. First, “Truth is whatever you sincerely believe.” If you sincerely believe that you live on Pluto, than you live on Pluto because that is your sincere belief which is your truth. Second, “Truth is what ever people accept.” If ISIS believes that they must kill people to serve Allah, then that is their truth. Finally, “Truth is what ever works.” There are two people, Person A and Person B. Person A works hard at his job while Person B robs banks. According to moral relativism, both Person A and Person B have valid strategies to making a living because they both work.

On the surface, moral relativism sounds like a good thing. If everyone has their own truth, it will encourage diversity and tolerance, right? Not quite. What is really encourages is chaos and disorder. In his book Culture Shift, Albert Mohler says “Moral relativism has denied any objective judgment of right and wrong.” In other words, moral relativism has destroyed the moral code and destroyed any accountability that anyone would have for his or her own truth.

What is truth? According Webster’s Dictionary, truth is defined as “The facts corresponding with actual events or happenings.” What has been the most reliable source of truth known to man? Without question, the Bible has stood the test of time as the ultimate authority on truth. This coherent book was written by 39 authors over a period of 1,500 years. The authors were mostly witnesses to events described which correspond with important archeological evidences such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and eyewitness accounts.

The most important witness to truth that is taught in the Bible is the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The hundreds of fulfilled prophesies, as well as over 500 credible witnesses to his resurrection testify to the reliability of the Bible. 

How is the idea of the truth of the Bible better than the theory of moral relativism? Consider the fruit of both ideas. The truth of the Bible brings love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self control to name a few. Contrast that to the fruits of moral relativism which are chaos, disorder, hate, sorrow, war, impatience, jealousy, malice and self indulgence among others.

We are living in a world that has been corrupted and duped by the ideology of moral relativism. If we want to see our nation thrive again, we must hold on tightly to the unchanging and infallible truth of the Bible on which this country was founded.

Sincerely,

Daniel E.