We the People, for All the People | Teen Ink

We the People, for All the People

By Christian_Moller BRONZE, San Diego, California
Christian_Moller BRONZE, San Diego, California

Refugees are the talk of everyone in the world today as the numbers of people fleeing Syria seek safety and resources in Europe and North America. With the vast amounts swelling everyday, we are called upon by refugees and countries alike to make the decision of whether to take in the asylum seekers or to turn them away. Everyday we are divided into collectives with extreme opinions on both sides.

In all countries this endeavor is affecting the public and the government, turning society on itself in an all-or-nothing faction war. Political parties are arguing on this issue aggressively because they are torn on the effects of refugees on their society and safety. The irony of this bureaucratic mess is that even though we discuss the effects the refugees could have on our society, the chaos has already effectively instilled fear and insecurity. We bicker and call the other side radicals and dismiss their view, getting nowhere in the fight.

Which side do I think is right? It doesn’t matter. Regardless of who I support, the war they fight is the one they can’t win, because the war they fight is purely theoretical. But for the refugees that are are hungry and tired of running from their home, this is all too real. Even the people who want to help are too distracted by winning the argument because they have been given an excuse to tell the opposition that it’s better their way. Meanwhile, their very lives are on the line while we have the power to keep them safe.

Refugees are human, just like you, the only difference that matters is that their wars are fought on their streets, while ours are fought overseas. Refugees are not all terrorists, and stopping them from entering the country won’t stop terrorism. Terrorism is something that could happen because some refugees might by terrorists, in the same way that you could die because your morning cereal might be poisoned. We are so caught up in the possibility of disaster that others must suffer because we are afraid.

Remember; Anyone can stand up for themselves, but it takes strength to stand up for someone else. So answer this: Is America strong?

This was mostly a rant I insisted on writting for an article submission, but it makes a strong point that needs to be said.