Modern Problems | Teen Ink

Modern Problems

By CooperGulley BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania
CooperGulley BRONZE, State College, Pennsylvania

I think that trigger warnings are important to use in society and that they are for a good cause. I also think that some people become too comfortable using them and can abuse their power and make some of them ridiculous. From my personal experience, I have never had any problems worrying about trigger warnings but I know that there are people out there that need them because they have had a bad experience. Especially in a community like the one we live in, everyone is judged on everything they do and everyone knows about it after someone tweets they saw you crying. I remember I saw someone cry after a movie and it had sexual abuse in it and now I have an image of that person in my mind I can’t get rid of. The worst part is I never talked to the person before but now I feel like they have a dark side to them and that I don’t want to talk them at all. Yes a trigger warning in that situation would be useful because it probably could have prevented the scene but there are some people that want trigger warnings on everything now. If movie makers had to put trigger warnings in movies, then there would be no point in watching the movie because it has already been spoiled. I again am talking from little experience with trigger warnings because I myself and none of my friends have problems that I know about. This may sound ridiculous but one possible way to solve the problem is to almost segregate the people with trigger warnings from other people. It sounds harsh and I know it is but if we need to keep adding trigger warnings in classes then our english class would be completely different. We would not be able to read some of the books we do and not be able to watch some of the videos or movies. An example being Night and Things Fall Apart. Maybe we can find a way to get some of the people into therapy classes so they can get over what they have been through but until trigger warnings can take over everything we do.