The Death Penalty. Should it be Legalized? | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty. Should it be Legalized?

June 2, 2014
By TheFiddler BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
TheFiddler BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Death Penalty
On any given day, at any given time, there are 35 to 50 serial killers that are actively taking the lives of innocent people (Diane Dimond, Creators). Ending somebody’s life deserves more than just a lifetime sentence in jail. The intentional harming or killing of another human being deserves the death penalty. The death penalty is a form of capital punishment that involves ending the life of a convicted criminal by most common means of lethal injection. Capital criminals who have been convicted for intentionally harming others have the opportunity to breathe the same air that we do if the death penalty is outlawed. Imagine knowing that a person who intentionally raped or brutally murdered somebody else’s son or daughter was allowed to live; even if that meant being in jail. This form of punishment based off of action should be legalized because it deters crime and brings justice to those who deserve it.
It was proven that in 1977, 74 fewer capital crimes were committed than the previous year with the implementation of the death penalty (Michael Summers, PhD). This in itself shows how the death penalty deters crime. Some people say that a lifetime in jail is worse than being put to death; however, most criminals fear death more than they fear confinement because they know they will never have a second chance at living. The death penalty makes potential criminals think twice before committing a crime because they know that by doing so, they will be risking their own life. If legalized, the death penalty would serve its purpose by making people afraid of committing a capital crime. If outlawed however, people would know that there would be no chance of any punishment besides prison. Legalizing the death penalty would deter crime rates in more ways than one.
In addition to deterring crime rates, the death penalty also brings justice to those who were evil enough to break the law and take the life of another human being. In the late 1970s, and Illinois native named John Wayne Gacy was convicted for the murder of over 33 children. After years of evaluation in trial, Gacy was finally put to death in facility surrounded by a cheering crowd. After an entire 17 years on death row, Gacy was finally put to death by means of lethal injection (Rachael Bell and Marilyn Bardsley, Crime Library). This man, who intentionally tortured, raped, and murdered innocent boys between the ages of 12 and 18; would have been allowed to live and the death penalty been outlawed. The families of these children would have had to live knowing that the man responsible for taking their children from them was allowed to live. Some would venture to say that the death penalty is wrong and inhumane. What about a case like this? Is it wrong and inhumane to want a man who committed such heinous crimes as these to be punished for what he did and to be sure he could never do anything like it again? The method of punishment that is the death penalty, brings justice to those that are evil enough to deserve it.

There is a definite opposing side to being for the death penalty. Lewis Lawes, warden of Sing Song prison states “As if one crime of such nature can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men collectively” (Lewis Lawes). What he means by this is that by committing execution, the innocent is no better than the guilty. This would be a valid point if the criminals had no reason to be in any sort of trouble. Since they did commit acts of such violence, the innocents and the protectors of innocence have every right to end that person. Another counterargument to the death penalty is that jail is much worse than just being put to death. This argument is invalid because despite all statements, jail still allows the criminal to be living and in some cases, living in luxury. The only way to rid the world of these high level criminals is by legalizing the death penalty, and ending their lives.
In conclusion, the death penalty both effectively deters criminal activity and brings those who committed crimes to justice. By doing this, it singlehandedly lowers crime rates and rids the world of those who are beyond humanity. Legalizing the death penalty everywhere is the best decision because it will greatly benefit all that are affected by crime and make the world a safer place.