North Korea: The Country of Struggles | Teen Ink

North Korea: The Country of Struggles

By samtasticguy BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
samtasticguy BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

North Korea: The Country of Many Struggles

North Korea seems to be in the paper every day with having headlines like “North Korean Nukes” and “North Korea Edging towards War”. What isn’t being said in the papers is how North Korea is the biggest threat to himself and all of the corrupt problems of everyday people.

When I used to think about North Korea, I imagined a dangerous dictatorship that had the world in a chokehold. After doing my research, North Korea seems more like a corrupt jumble of sabotaged people with a ruler that uses fear to stay in control. Everybody talks about how North Korea is a major threat to all other countries. Yet, the country poses its largest threat to itself. Kim Jong Un has failed to feed his people, but manages to create a million man army and hundreds of nukes and missiles.

How can you be so dangerous if practically everyone in your country is starving to an agonizingly painful death? Well someone has been prioritizing their problems incorrectly…

If North Korea really wanted to start a war, they would have done so already. They have the firepower and the personnel, but they haven’t truly tried to fight with anybody. The reason why they haven’t done so is because they are completely outnumbered. The U.S.A. has many allies, and if war broke out, chances are that the U.S.A. and their allies would be fighting against North Korea. There is a certain point where the prize is far less than the cost and if North Korea got into a war it would be too costly.

Lastly, war would mean interacting with other governments. That is the last thing that North Korea wants. Foreign governments could influence how and what the people of North Korea thought, and that is the last thing Kim Jong Un wants; for people to think of rebelling North Korea’s dictatorship.

Controversy is everywhere when the topic of North Korea comes up. There are some things that are not in your control, and this is an example. In the end, North Korea is just a mass of life struggling to create a balance, and not entirely for good or bad, but it is their decision how they will live and change.