What is America? | Teen Ink

What is America?

By ossiecastro5 PLATINUM, A Single Light In, New Jersey
ossiecastro5 PLATINUM, A Single Light In, New Jersey

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.

What is America? Is it really the land of the free and the home of the brave? Or is it the land of the lies and the home of the Whopper.Is this country a land full of honorable citizens? Or is it a land fulled with lying politicians. Can going to America make a poor foreigner wealth? Or, can it make a poor foreigner more poor and homeless with no hope and full of fear of the dangerous enviornment? Is America friendly to other countries? Or does it only ask for money and invade them for things that they think they are doing? Was America's history well known of freedom. Or, was it well known for slavery and genocide? I ask you this, is this the same America as we thought it was? Really?

hearing of lies and its bad history inspired me to write this.

And.... You can write a million things!!!!

on Dec. 26 2010 at 4:10 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

Ask yourself this question: is the border to keep American citizens in or is it to keep foreign citizens out? Why is it that America has by far, the world's largest number of immigrants, who are generally poor and undereducated? Do you believe that these people enter this country willingly so that they may be exploited, or is it for the chance at freedom and the opportunity to improve the quality of their lives?

Which other countries have used extreme restraint while exercising its military might? Rather than America using its vast military for purposes of expansionism and conquest, we have liberated more enslaved people of the world from the ravages of tyranny than any other. You have bought the Big Lie that the United States is an imperialist power and uses its military to enslave the peoples of world.

Who has given more aid to foreign countries, such as billions of dollars to combat aids in Africa, the Marshall Plan to rebuild the post-war Europe which was ravaged by the Axis-powers, including Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany? Who gives more food to the poor peoples of the world?

Slavery has been the normalcy of the world since the beginning of man. For thousands of years of man's existance, slavery has been the condition of man kind. It was not until the founding of this country and the signing of the Declaration of Independence that the idea of man having rights, being unalienable by God, came about. The treatment of the Native Indians and the Slavery of Africans will be a dark stain on the history of the United States. That set of circumstances has been the rule for all of man's existance, not the exception.