Everybody Should Get Tax Cutshgb | Teen Ink

Everybody Should Get Tax Cutshgb

December 14, 2010
By WrItEr2010 BRONZE, Durango, Colorado
WrItEr2010 BRONZE, Durango, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments

There has been a huge controversy about if there should be tax cuts for the "rich." First of all, I'd just like to say that you can't just define someone as rich by the income they get. My family gets a higher income than some others, but we have 7 children at home, 10 in all. My parents have to support all those kids, and my mom doesn't work. I don't think it's fair to just make it so that people with a higher income have to pay a higher percentage of taxes as someone with a less income. I agree with the Republican view of the tax cuts. If some people get tax cuts, everyone should get tax cuts. Yes, you do get tax cuts for having a lot of children, but if you still have to pay a lot of money for taxes, then you don't reallly have that much money anymore, therefore, you're not rich. How come, since my dad has been working for the same company for years and can't retire for like 9 more, how come he has to pay a lot of money in taxes, and someone that doesn't work as much as my dad, is paying less in the percentage of taxes. Right now, "rich" people are paying around 35% of their income, our country is talking about increasing that to around 39%. People in the middle class only have to pay around 20%. My family recently made a trip to Florida. It wouldn't be very fair if since we didn't get tax cuts, we couldn't go but someone in the middle class could go, because they got tax cuts and we didn't, but my dad is working his bottom off to get the income he gets. Also, I'd just like to bring up the point that some scholarships you can't be available for them if you get within a certain bracket of income. My family has a lot of kids to support, clothing, food, heating and electricity bills, gas and lots of other things for those kids. So, why should I not get accepted for a scholarship just because my family has a certain income. It's not very fair. One last point I'd like to bring up is the equaility of everyone, if some people are getting tax cuts, why can't others? The government should just set a percent and not make it matter what your income is, otherwise, they're singling people out and then we aren't equal anymore. If one class gets tax cuts, everybody should.

The author's comments:
Thanks to my teacher, Mr. Javier, for supplying me with information for my arguement, even though he was arguing the other side. ;)