How Many Of You Hate America? | Teen Ink

How Many Of You Hate America?

By Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other
Eilina Sealtman SILVER, London, Other

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Many of you will be enraged by this article. I mean no offence to any human being, merely a minority's actions. And if you can condemn a terrorist group, can you condemn a group of terrorist that don't use guns and use the American people to shield themselves?

on Dec. 13 2012 at 10:37 am
AlmostPublished GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

Live for today,because yesterday is gone and tomarrow may never come.

Hahaa we did NOT go to war with them because they blew up the Twin Towers. Just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

on Dec. 2 2012 at 1:46 am
Megan Schwartz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
We didn't go to war with the Middle East over oil!! We went to war with them because they blew up the Trade Centers- it didn't start as a war over oil, it started as a war over terrorism. Now that we've neutralized the biggest threat, obviously it's moved on to oil because yes, it is America, and majority of America is materialistic, for lack of better words. I don't agree with many things my country is doing, so I do see your point. But the people that are using all these resources in America can, and will use them because they have money. Why do they have money? Because they were smart enough to be successful. Don't hate them because they succeeded. And by the way, the American Dream is dead. Society has corrupted it into non existance. Blame whomever you like for that one.

phiRev said...
Your essay seems a little all over the place, no offense. You make a quick jump from talking about use of military power to extort things from countries to talking about mindless consumerism. There's nothing wrong with these topics, but it's a bit of a leap between the two. You might want to have those topics flow a little more smoothly into the body of the essay. Also, I'd recommend citing your facts, it will add more credibility. Finally, there's a bit of a problem with the resource data: you didn't really set a timeframe for it. When you say that 532,000,000 tons of coal are produced or 652,900,000,000 cu m of Natural gas are used up, is this per year or in total? I was a little confused here. You make some good points, but you need to work on your ethos to convince the audience. Best of luck! ~pR

NewsJunkie said...
NewsJunkie, Wilmington, Delaware

"I'm high maintenance, but I'm worth it."
-Lara Logan

While I recognize that America has its share of problems, I still am a proud American and consider the US to be a great nation. Although your piece had some factual information it was largely a bashing of the United States. I admit that the United States has many many flaws, including the Republican Party (Lol, just kidding), but next time write something more productive:)

nebraskagirl2178 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa

Hope is a waking dream.~Aristotle

Although it's a well-written article, it's full of bullsh*t. Yes, we do use a lot of coal and resources, but you know what? We're working on renewable sources. Our government and military are full of murderous, horrible people huh? What about the time we saved your British ass in WW2? Or Vietnam? My grandfather fought in Vietnam and is extremely patriotic. If he could read this, he'd blow up. Maybe you should leave your rock and watch the news.

C_B_Mia said...
Feel free to move to another country, like Saudi Arabia. I'm sure you'll have waaaaaayyy more rights there :) 

C_B_Mia said...
What an unfair attack! Where are your sources? This is an extreme view. America has its flaws, but is an amazing place to live. There is no need to hate an entire people. America stands for amazing things, like freedom, liberty, equality... 

Bookemist GOLD said...
Bookemist GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

"I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven’t tried that for a while. Maybe this time it’ll work."- George Carlin

While I agree with many of the points in this article, being from the U.K. doesn't exactly give a person the moral highground on these issues. It's not about hating America. I'm American, and I love my country (I like the U.K. too). It's about hating the direction society is taking, America included.

joecool101 PLATINUM, Brighton, Massachusetts

Think once and nothing will happen; think again and ideas will flow to your mind.

- Joshua Eibelman

In my opinion, even though the content may be factually true, other factors are not being taken into account in this article. For instance, the fact that the United States is at the top of renewable energy investement. And, according to the EPA, 82 million tons composted or recycled for recovery rate of 33.8 percent 29 million tons of MSW combusted for energy recovery 74 percent of office-type paper recovered 60 percent of yard trimmings recovered 34.5 percent of metals recycled 7 million tons of metals recycled reduced greenhouse gas emissions at equivalent of removing 5 million cars from road for one year Approximately 9,000 community curbside recycling programs exist in United States, increase over reported 2002 figure of 8,875 Approximately 3,000 community composting programs exist - decrease from reported 2002 figure of 3,227 programs Current amount of MSW per-person discarded in landfills lower than 1960 Due to population growth, current total amount discarded MSW in landfills significantly higher than in 1960, yet lower than 1990 One more thing: China, a country which no one even dares to talk about, is not as enviornmentallyu friendly as the United States with air pollution levels sky high, and other factors pulling down its enviornmental friendliness.

The_Math_Guy BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
The problem with saving electricity and reducing CO2 emissions is that they're short term. No matter how little water someone uses, the resources will inevitably run out unless a replacement is found or something else is found. 

- Joshua Eibelman

I'm sorry: the U.S. is ranked #1 in renewable energy investment. Although America has its issues, it's dealing faster and better than the whole world with them.

- Joshua Eibelman

Although I must agree with you that the United States is consuming too much of the earth's natural resources, it is necessary to note the the U.S. ranks top three in renewable energy inverstment (over 50 billion dollars).

- Joshua Eibelman

300 million not 1 billion population in U.S.A

revolution567 BRONZE, Norwood, Massachusetts
i believe in most of the content in this article but i would reword the phrase "Hate America". you are calling into question certain aspects of the American government/elite, not a whole nation of people. 

SingingismylifeSYV BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida

"do you like music?"
~"do you like breathing?"

"Hate" is a strong word! ;)

"do you like music?"
~"do you like breathing?"

First of all, great article! But I don't agree with you along the lines of saying all the resources dimishing is the Americans fault. I am American and I have pride in being one. If America was as deadly or greedy as you say why does everyone want to come HERE? These things (like oil prices, war, and more) are NOT the individual Americans faults! Government makes those decisions, good or bad. Just like in your homeland; the UK. I hope you consider that there are always two sides to an opinion. :)

mudnainah BRONZE, Barikville, Washington

it's not in everything that you find happiness, but in happiness you shall find everything.

True. 

How would you know that if you haven't experianced it first-hand or seen it with your two naked eyes? 

I agree as well! War is not always the answer. If we don't agree with another country, we certainly have no right to force them after all its their country! I mean the Americans would be raged if another country disagreed with our laws. Sooo...Let's let others worry about their countries and work on perfecting our own :-) 

Hmmm, America is better than the world?