Miley Strikes a Pose | Teen Ink

Miley Strikes a Pose

By ninja_warrior SILVER, Thorold, Other
ninja_warrior SILVER, Thorold, Other

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

On February fourth two thousand nine, Miley Cyrus pose in a picture with her eyes slanted. This image was exploited over the Internet, and the pose was marked as racist. Thou crossing your eyes with your fingers is politically incorrect and morally repugnant, the disappointing thing about this picture is that it displays how Miley has failed to learn from her mistakes . Cyrus is a teen so it is expected that she is to make bad choices, rebels, and defy authority. Miley also is a person which means that she should learn from her bad choices, and have those experiences suppress the rebellious and defiant side of her. Events that occurred prior to the racist picture, including the Vanity Fair photo shoot, should have instilled a sense of consciousness in Miley, preventing her from making the, “China man,” pose.

In Miley's apology she claims that she wasn't making fun of any ethnic background and that it was just a funny face. But if Miley was treating every mistake as a growing experience she would have gained wisdom from the You Tube incident. During two thousand and seven Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez made a successful video of them goofing off for their fans. Later that year Cyrus and You Tube partner, Mandy Jiroux, made a disrespectful parody of that video. The pair made fun of Selena and Demi's appearance in a juvenile manner. Miley apologized for mocking them, but said that, “imitation is the greatest form of flattery,” and, “it was just a joke,” but if Miley learned from the You Tube controversy she would have the wisdom to stop her from making the ridiculous, cross eyed face.

Cyrus should have also known the impact of both casual and formal pictures in the Media. In two thousand and eight Miley posed for a Vanity Fair photo shoot, which was directed by Annie Leibovitz. The final product showed Miley with messy hair, porcelain skin, a smudge of lip stick, and a exposed bare back with nothing but a sheet to cover her chest. The pictures made Miley look like an unfit role model . Miley claimed that she thought the photo shoot was artistic and that she was manipulated. After Miley apologized for the Vanity Fair disruption Miley had scandalous images of her leaking over the web. The pictures exuded a sexual vibe. The pictures were taken by Cyrus and were apparently stolen from her email. Again she said sorry, but didn't learn that a professional or casual photos of her would be publicized, exploited and criticized by the media. Therefore she should be conscious about what she does, especially since she is a role model to millions of adoring juvenile fans.

The Hollywood observers has noticed a certain trend with Miley's perturbations within her career. Miley will be in a form media with an offensive pose, then the media will be publicized. Once Miley hears news that she has offended a group of people she gives out a generic apology. Her excuses normally consist of two things. Cyrus will normally explain how she did`T intend for the media to offend anyone, then she will go on to say that she is embarrassed. Thou when a person makes a serious and genuine apology they also regret what they did and don't repeat the same mistake. Just like Lucie J. Kim said, “ Miley knew or should have known that her image would be publicly disseminated via the media which Cyrus knew focused on her private life, specifically.”

But aside from the recent events Miley has experienced, she should understand that making a racial pose is morally wrong. When you become sixteen you are given the privilege of learning how to drive because you, have lived long enough to acquire wisdom to a certain degree. Wisdom derives from personal experiences, and a person will have plenty of experience to know what is considered racist and what is considered zany. When you're little and you ignorantly cross your eyes making a similar racist pose an adult will scold you. That memory teaches you that mocking someone for a racial feature is absurd, therefore you won't do it again.

In conclusion Miley making the, “China man,” pose is vulgar, but not because she is crossing her eyes. It is rather the fact that Miley fails to learn from her mistakes, letting all these preventable misadventures happen. It is Cyrus' incompetency to learn from her mistakes that proves her to be a bad role model not her slanted eyes.

Sunshineyday said...
The 'eyes' thing was tasteless, but I don't think generally racist. She is just being a 'dumb' kid. I don't do these things, but I know lots of my classmates would. Living under the spotlight is hard, when your famous, people know EVERYTHING you say and do. And half of your career when a celebrity is public relations.

ninja_warrior SILVER, Thorold, Other

I'm not saying the miley isn't talented. I'm saying that as a role model she should be at least trying to aviod mistakes like everyday people.

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
I think miley cyrus is amazing. sure she has made a tome of mistakes but who has'nt?