Food for Thought Night Show — A Covid-19 Dialogue | Teen Ink

Food for Thought Night Show — A Covid-19 Dialogue

By Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other
Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other

Plato:

Good evening, curious souls. Welcome to the Food for Thought Night Show of the Plato’s Academy! Today, our guests have come to Athens from every corner of the world, from the mythical islands of the Aegean Sea to the foothills of the holy Himalayas, but what drew them together here today is the same — the thirst for new philosophical insights into the Covid-19 pandemic.

As we all know, the Covid-19 pandemic has totally shaken the world. Due to the pandemic, we humans have been hurled into lockdown. An economic crisis strains while political instability erupts. However, there is a bright side too. Philosophically, this is a valuable time to assess humanity. Are we better as human beings due to Covid? That is the question.

On our Affirmative Side, we have Heraclitus, Socrates, Aristotle, Epicurus, Confucius, Charles Darwin and the Buddha himself.

On our Negative Side, we have Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Karl Marx, Martin Luther King Jr, Thomas Hobbes and Frederich Nietzsche.

Uhh. Mr Descartes, what side will you take?

Descartes:

I’m not very sure yet. Let me think for a while. I think, therefore I am.

Plato:

Okay. Without much ado about nothing, let’s begin the first round of our dialogue.

Dear philosophers, I invite you to satisfy our hunger with some food for thought!

Hegel:

I don’t think Covid-19 has made us better people. It doesn’t and won’t improve us because history will repeat itself. Look at the countless pandemics that have occurred — the Black Death starting from medieval times, the various cholera pandemics over the past 200 years, which I’ll soon die of (Hegel died of cholera in 1831), and the Spanish Flu in 1919. They were all the same. We will continue to be in crisis, get out of one, and get back into another. The only thing we can learn from history is that we don’t learn anything from history. 

Socrates: 

I disagree. Hegel’s opinion is a textbook example of ignorance, which is the only evil.

First, he ignores the fact that we are in a totally different situation than the pandemics in history he has mentioned. The globalized economy and way of life made our world much more complex and Covid-19 harder to contain. 

Second, Hegel ignores the changes we’ve made by asserting that there’s nothing we can learn from history. If we look at history, we’ll realize that with every pandemic, and every crisis in general, we have changed. We not only learn from history and implement what we remember is right, but also correct what we discover as wrong. For example, quarantine is a common practice that we use to control Covid-19. It was invented during the Black Death. As we know that quarantine is a practice that works, we’re implementing that now in this pandemic. Another example is face masks. At the beginning of the pandemic, they were not recommended for public use. However, after much data backed its effectiveness, it is now mandatory in many cases. It shows how fast humans learn from history, both ancient and recent.

Thus, humans do learn from history, and Covid-19 is a piece of history that will shape us in the future so that we are better off.

Darwin:

Speaking of changes, Covid-19 has made us more flexible when it comes to change, increasing the resilience of our species. Being able to adapt has been the key to survival since the beginning of evolution. Covid-19 is a huge change that nobody has expected before. Suddenly there was this pandemic and the world went immediately into lockdown and economic crisis. Humans are forced to adapt to this crisis in order to survive and we actually did a good job. When schools close, we turn to online learning; when cities are locked down, we shift to online working; when shopping malls are closed, we shop online. We developed various vaccines at a speed like never before. In short, humans are stronger by adapting to changes in the Covid-19 Pandemic. I believe that we’re the winners of this round of natural selection and the survival of the fittest. 

Aristotle:

I can’t agree more with Darwin. As he has mentioned vaccines, I would just like to add one more thought about science, which, I believe, is the only right way to approach this world. In this pandemic, Covid-19 has made us better by pushing us to make advances in science. One such scientific advance is the creation of mRNA Vaccines. It, together with other vaccines, led to a sharp decline in Covid cases and deaths around the world. Our reopening relied on the use of these vaccines. Like I said before, listening to science could be a lesson that we learn this time and make sure history doesn’t repeat itself next time. 

However, Covid also showed us that the alternative to science is dangerous. During the pandemic, many, some of them being world leaders, have chosen to deny science. In order to minimise science in his political environment, the former US. President Donald Trump made false claims about American testing, decided it was OK to interrupt speeches of medical experts and supported conspiracies denying Covid. As a result, cases soared and the virus enjoyed a killing spree in the United States. That’s why I said I consider investigating science part of my purpose of life, but if nobody listens to it, it’s no use. By letting us realise the truth, Covid has made us better. 

Plato: 

What an epic discussion is going on here. So, even though we repeatedly fall into crisis, the way we respond to each is improved, with old lessons implemented and new advances made. It seems that Covid-19 has brought us one step closer to the ideal form of humankind. Let’s move on to Round 2!

Martin Luther King Jr.:

I would like to remind all of you of another negative impact of Covid-19. It has amplified the already-existing inequality. It is truly piercing to see how a lack of resources suffered by some people of the world causes so much misery and how there are people who are enjoying more resources that help them get through the crisis easily. For example, in the United States, where the constitution grants equality, African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans are harder hit by the virus than White Americans. Hispanics are 1.9 times more likely than Whites to get Covid, 2.8 times as likely to be hospitalised and 2.3 times as likely to die. It is painful to realise that so many years after I had my dream in 1963 the world is still so divided. How can one say Covid has made us better?

Karl Marx:

Yes, and the inequality doesn’t just end in races! People of different ages, genders, countries and socioeconomic statuses are also hit in different ways. The young, the old and women are more vulnerable to unemployment. The physical workers are more likely to get Covid and the only alternative is to lose their jobs completely. The lack of resources made the poor unable to shift to online learning and working. The least developed countries are the least vaccinated. According to Our World in Data, 44.4% of the world population has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine but only 2.2% of people in low-income countries have gotten the same. All this inequality has destabilised this world one step further, making revolution ever closer! Indeed, protests have sparked all over the world.

Heraclitus:

Calm down, dear Marx. I do agree that Covid-19 has deepened the division in this world, but every negative side comes with a positive side, as there is an underlying connection between opposites. People are trying to eliminate all this evil of inequality in the world and to heal the division. For example, world organizations like the UN and Human Rights Watch are providing aid to Third World Countries and indigenous peoples from around the world. In countries like Australia, testing and vaccinations are free for everybody. Governments have given support packages such as Jobseeker Payments. Even in undeveloped countries like Nigeria, there are Cash Transfers and Food Aid for poor people. All these initiatives have helped the disadvantaged to deal with the crisis.

Confucius:

Yes, Covid-19 enforced a sense of unity among us, rather than a form of division. It has shown us that, in the end, we are all humans. We are all susceptible to this pandemic, we all need to be in lockdown and we’re all affected by it. This reminds us that there is little point in believing that we are superior to one another as we really are the same creatures with the same strengths and weaknesses. Covid-19 made us realize that the best way to cope with the crisis is with unity and cooperation. If some people follow the lockdown rules while others break them, Covid will continue to spread. If developed countries fix Covid within their boundaries but less developed ones don’t, the pandemic would drag on. But if everyone follows the rules and helps each other, what King and Marx said could be fixed and Covid-19 can be controlled as soon as possible. We can apply this lesson of unity not only to this pandemic but also to the next world emergency.

Plato:

Wow. This round is digging deep into what society is and what it should be! We have learned that even though Covid-19 has magnified the issue of inequality, that inequality is at the same time being acted against by an opposite force healing the division. Covid-19 has forced us to reform our society toward utopia. Now, Round 3 shall unfold!

Thomas Hobbes:

Confucius keeps pretending that the world is a harmonious one, but I’m not so sure because humans are selfish and Covid is only there to break us down even more. When people take to the streets to protest against lockdown and vaccinations, they only care about their own freedom, but not respecting the rights of others to not be infected by them, no mention of taking the responsibility of vaccination to stop the pandemic.

Frederich Nietzsche:

Apart from being self-interested, the weaknesses of human beings have also been attacked severely by Covid-19. Humans are highly vulnerable to feeling hopeless and becoming mentally unstable. I, who will soon suffer a mental breakdown, is a great example. Covid-19 has found that weak spot, attacked it and crippled us. Mental health issues and domestic violence are becoming more common due to lockdown and economic crises. What is worse is that in some places, people aren’t even receiving help for the damage Covid has caused. For example, in Nigeria,  millions of people have mental issues, but only 10% of sufferers are getting help. How can a human race like this improve in such a disaster as Covid-19?

Socrates:

Sure, people can be selfish and weak, but by making us examine our lives, Covid has made them more worth living. It is only when our selfishness and weaknesses are magnified are we able to examine and become more aware of them. Then, we are able to improve these weaknesses. When we know that we are selfish, we would put in rules to control us. Lockdown, travel ban and vaccine mandates are examples of these. With those who are extremely selfish, we have police to enforce these rules. When we are aware that we’re needing mental support, we implement programs to improve mental health. For example, helplines for both children and adults have been set up in Australia. In fact, our discussion here today shows that we are more aware of our weaknesses and are willing to discuss them. Being able to sit down and discuss is a solution to the problems that were mentioned by Hobbes and Nietzsche.

The Buddha:

Socrates is definitely correct. Apart from that, there are other great ways to maintain well-being by eliminating some desires of life and keeping a healthy lifestyle. On one hand, Covid-19 encourages us to get rid of our desires and enlighten ourselves. In a situation like this, we are able to realise that suffering does exist in this world and it is caused by desires. This then inspires us to manage them and move forward by acting wisely. For example, before the travel ban, we took it for granted to go on vacation on holidays. We don’t have that luxury now, but we can still survive by eliminating the desire for vacation. This is also a move to limit selfishness as when we decide to stay at home, we wouldn’t infect others. On the other hand, Covid-19 has shifted us to a healthier lifestyle. Statistics show that Sydneysiders are spending more time with their families. They are more likely to walk and cycle in nature. Even the crime rate decreased to a 25 year low in Sydney. It is obvious that things are developing in the opposite direction of what was stated by Hobbes and Nietzsche. We are actually better off when coping with the Covid-19 pandemic.

Epicurus:

Yes, What Socrates and the Buddha said is correct. Additionally, Covid-19 has strengthened humans in the long run. Sure, Covid has been quite a suffering for us, but a blessing if we look toward the future. We would know how sweet things are after we have tasted something bitter. Having been through hard times of lockdown and economic crisis, we would appreciate and better enjoy life when it is over. When the lockdown is over and people can go out again, we can better appreciate the freedom. Small things, like going out for a haircut, which we take for granted before, can become a blessing. When the economic crisis is over and people are gaining back their jobs, we will better appreciate the prosperity as well. In short, we’ve gotten better at being happy. 

Plato:

Epicurus, what a positive conclusion to this heated dialogue! In this round, we learned that humans can be selfish and weak, but Covid has aided us in examining our lives and controlling our desires to make us better. We were also told that Covid has given us a better attitude towards life after it. Dear audience, doesn’t that remind you of something? That’s right, my friends, this explains my theory of self fulfillment!

This draws an end to our great dialogue. But wait! Mr Descartes, have you decided a side yet?

Descartes:

After some furious brain activity, I have found my existence, except I don’t exist on any side. What I want to emphasise is that thinking is important, especially during times of Covid. In order to improve ourselves, we must also listen to others. We can’t produce much with our thoughts when we don’t get inspiration from others. 

Plato:

Thank you, Mr Descartes, for your insightful comment. 

Hope you, curious souls, have developed a deeper understanding of how Covid-19 has shaped humanity. Please tune into the Food for Thought Night Show at the same time next week. Another delicious dose of philosophy is waiting for you! Thank you very much.

Bibliography

Our World in Data n.d., Our World in Data, viewed 26 September 2021, < ourworldindata.org/ >

Gaarder J., 1991, Sophie’s World, Berkeley Books, New York​​:Farrar, Straus and Giroux 

Channels, NGD n.d., COVID-19 | NSW Government, NSWGovernment, viewed 21 August 2021, < nsw.gov.au/covid-19 > 

Covid19 Economic Impacts | Sydney | economy.id n.d., viewed 23 August 2021, < economy.id.com.au/sydney/covid19-quarter-i mpacts > 

Mental health: Free support in Nigeria in response to COVID-19' n.d., ID4D, viewed 23 August 2021, < ideas4development.org/en/mental-health-nig eria-free-covid-19-psychological-support/ > 

Nigeria: Covid-19 Impact Worsens Hunger in Lagos | Human Rights Watch' n.d., Human Rights Watch, viewed 23 August 2021, < hrw.org/news/2021/07/28/nigeria-covid- 19-impact-worsens-hunger-lagos > 

Oolasunkanmi 2018, 'LAGOS AND THE REVIVAL OF PUBLIC EDUCATION – Lagos State Government', Lagos State Government, viewed 23 August 2021, < lagosstate.gov.ng/blog/2018/03/13/lagos-an d-the-revival-of-public-education/ >                               

Pandey, S 2021, 'Australia faces first economic contraction in a year on Sydney lockdown | Reuters', Reuters, viewed 23 August 2021, < reuters.com/business/australia-faces-f irst-economic-contraction-year-sydney-lockdown-2021-07-14/ > 

Though Covid-19 seems like a total disaster that has profoundly disrupted our lives, it could have its positive as well.

In this humorous drama, the question of whether Covid-19 has made humans better is debated by many thinkers. This article also gives insights to the ideas of past philosophers and the many issues faced by this complex world.

Hope you enjoy!