We the People Make American Great | Teen Ink

We the People Make American Great

By SophieJaeger BRONZE, Old Greenwich, Connecticut
SophieJaeger BRONZE, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

Today, news stories of chaos unfolding across America are ever present. On our phones. On our TVs. On our laptops. From stories of bickering politicians to mass shootings, it is hard for the average “connected” citizen to see the true greatness and wonder of the American Experiment. Part of this issue, I believe, is in the lack of historical curriculum taught in schools because if the common citizen truly delved into American history, he or she would see that we actually don’t have it all that bad compared to the debt-ridden Framers or dying Civil War soldiers. However, I know it is out of my current capabilities to adequately educate every American citizen in civics and history. Even if not every American is completely educated on American history, we must embrace the democratic tenants our country was founded on. Often times we take for granted the liberties we are allowed by our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. In doing so, we overlook everyday luxuries that allow us to loudly and publicly express our opinions. America’s greatness truly lies within our ability to coexist, despite differences in beliefs, our love and faith in democracy, and our indomitable national pride. 

Although political fights are constantly cropping up on social media platforms, like Twitter, we live most of our lives in coexistence with others of different creeds, races, and socioeconomic status. If we examine different countries across the world, we see slaughter of Protestant Hugenots in Catholic France, murder of the wealthy Tsars in Russia by the poor, and violent slave rebellions in the Greater Antilles. Today, despite having widely different political views, Americans are able to share their views without fear of violent persecution, a right protected under the First Amendment. When James Madison penned the Bill of Rights, featuring this idea of freedom of speech, it was a widely radical idea. Nearly all European countries at the time were based on the principle of divine right, and they claimed total power of the country. Although ideas of increased freedoms had been popularized by the Enlightenment, no other government had made such liberal changes to its Constitution. The United States has forever been a fighter and defender of liberty, and this belief is reflected in our social structure. 

Despite differing political beliefs, most Americans share an unchanging faith and assurance in democracy and democratic practices. The United States’ Constitution is one of the longest lasting constitutions of all times. Even though, not every American supports the current president; there are no significant protests or uprisings against his authority. Many countries have fallen victim to military coups when a candidate unpopular with a certain group is elected. On the other hand, in the United States, we have peaceful transitions of power, and a president cannot serve more than two terms. Additionally, we have faith in separation of powers and checks and balances between the legislative, executive, and judicial branches. These are integral parts of our democratic society, and we hold fast to these ideas in moments of political tension and conflict. Currently, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has launched an impeachment inquiry due to a whistleblower accusing Trump of using his political status for personal gains. Regardless of the fact that Americans have different opinions on the impeachment inquiry, all Americans must agree that this is a legal, just process to investigate the integrity of our president. 

In addition to our faith in democracy, an ardent patriotic spirit has been instilled in all Americans. On Fourth of July, for example, there are massive fireworks displays and celebratory parades, rejoicing in independence. Look in any neighborhood: the stars and stripes fly proudly in the yards of many American homes. Aside from the “Star Spangled Banner,” thousands of patriotic songs have been written by a wide assortment of composers, including “God Bless the U.S.A” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag.” These pop culture developments fuel our enthusiastic patriotism. Many monuments have also been built commending our veterans, fallen soldiers, founding fathers, and revolutionaries. Our nation also specifies certain national holidays to remember our fallen soldiers. On these days we take on a more solemn side of patriotism, we must remember those who have died building our country, and we reflect on how the sacrifices of other have shaped our nation. A local building in my town has the phrase “Freedom isn’t Free” written on it’s awning. This quote truly resonates with me because it prompts me to think about the depth of patriotism and it’s true significance. These patriotic values truly run deeper than a parade or a song, but those means have popularized patriotism in the American public. 

Looking at America today, everyone can admit that our country has it’s issues: border control, health care, gun rights. Some find it hard to call America “great” because of our currently polarized political landscape and wide array of problems. But doesn’t every era and time period has its respective issues? Has there ever been a time when everyone was in agreement on a solution to a problem? Simply put, America is great because she does not crumble and crack under the onus of these issues. She fights. She solves. She revolutionizes. Her invincible spirit perserveres through the thick and thin of political turmoil. Americans must remember that we are great, our country is great, because we are granted liberties that allow us to peacefully coexist, and we are taught to value, preserve, and protect democracy, as well as celebrating the beauty and will of our nation. We the people are those who will help America stand firm because of our constant remembrance of the greatness of America. 

Author Sophie is a sophomore. She wrote this piece for the VFW essay contest.