How do Social Media Influencers Impact the Lives of Society’s Teens? | Teen Ink

How do Social Media Influencers Impact the Lives of Society’s Teens?

December 6, 2018
By sammmiller1 BRONZE, Elon, North Carolina
sammmiller1 BRONZE, Elon, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We live in a society where our teens are consumed in social media, specifically  influencers on these sites. This can be anyone from a Hollywood actor or actress to a model or a YouTuber. It is not uncommon for teens to become extreme fans of these internet phenomenons, trying to learn the ins-and-outs of their social lives, wardrobes, family lives, relationships, along with countless other aspects.


94% of teens nowadays are reported to use social media in some way. 71% of those teens use more than one social media service. Creators on these sites can often become wildly successful, leading supporters to deem them social influencers. With the title comes the following, and with the following comes the fame. The platform that is the most notorious for this is YouTube. YouTube is a forum where influencers often upload relatable videos that chronicle their daily lives. This is one of the main reasons that fans have such a close relationship with the Youtubers that they watch. Teens feel more connected with the influencers on this platform because of the intimacy of the relationship between the creator and their fans. They also take solace in the fact that many obstacles they face on the daily are portrayed in videos from their favorite YouTubers. Many creators start with small followings, allowing them to be more active with their fans by replying to comments and liking their posts. Teens then often channel their energy towards establishing a relationship with their favorite creators before they become more widely known.

These influencers are often known for their persuasiveness and their ability to connect with their following. With their growth in fan base comes a growth of sponsorship opportunities. This means that influencers get paid to promote a certain product, service, or lifestyle. Their easily coerced fans are eager to support their favorite creator in any way possible, leading them to buy whatever is being promoted on the channel. Many influencers can be considered manipulative due to the nature of their content along with the way they promote themselves and their sponsored products. They often push their viewers to utilize their promotion codes and purchase their merchandise.

Due to their unwavering investment, many teens can become invasive and obsessive. This leads them to attempt to dig into the lives of their favorite influencers. They try to learn to navigate the social scene based on what they have learned from various influencers. This is a toxic way for teens to be learning valuable life lessons. Many platforms have creators that could be considered either positive  or negative influences. Examples of negative influences can be creators like Jake Paul who promote reckless behavior and inappropriate actions to their younger followings. They often use their platform as a way to manipulate their young and impressionable followers.

It is imperative that teens learn to look beyond what their favorite influencers are saying. It is easy to become so invested in their lives and to want to support them in any way possible. I urge to you look beyond what you see on the surface and understand that influencers face the same struggles as everyone else. What you see on social media does not necessarily reflect what truly happens when the camera is shut off.


The author's comments:

I am a freshman in college. I am writing this piece as an informative towards teens that are living in the age of social media. It is so easy to get absorbed in the atmosphere surrounding these aspects of media, and it is not a topic often discussed among teens. I am here to simply try and start the conversation.