Humbled | Teen Ink

Humbled MAG

It seems wrong and cynical to deny my pride in my country. Don’t get me wrong, I feel privileged, blessed, and honored to live in a country like this, but I am far from proud. To me, pride is a bad thing. I feel honored to be an American because of the almost unlimited freedom, wealth, and opportunity here. Most importantly, I can practice freedom of religion and speech. I live a passionate life, full of faith and love for a God I believe in. Some countries do not allow the expression of faith. I feel privileged to live in a place where I can talk all day long about what I believe without fear of persecution.

Wealth has never carried great importance for me, however, I receive it as a major blessing as a resident of this country. Even impoverished people in our country are wealthy compared to most of the world. I can’t help but feel blessed when I go to bed every night with a full stomach.

People have always referred to America as a place where you can take advantage of amazing, limitless opportunities. We all hear about the American Dream, and people come here to find that dream. I have every chance in the world to pursue my dreams because I live in the United States.

I love my country deeply. I have so many freedoms and blessings as a result of being born in the land of the free and the home of the brave. But I am not proud to be an American. Instead, I am humbled to be an American.

Your right. I alwas have said " I am proud to  be an american" when really I am humbled to be an american. I mean I am proud of my country but I a myself am not proudful.