Apple vs. Windows | Teen Ink

Apple vs. Windows MAG

It’s 1984. Apple has just released its first commercial with the famous intonation: “On January 24th, Apple will introduce Macintosh. And you’ll see why 1984 won’t be like 1984.” The following year, Bill Gates released Windows 1.0 to be used with IBM computers. The computer generation was born.

Apple and Windows threw open the door of technology almost 25 years ago and have yet to cease amazing the world. When buying a computer, most consumers can be persuaded to choose what is considered the “best” one out there. Apple has struggled to keep up with the accomplishments of Bill Gates, but in 1996, Apple founder and former CEO Steve Jobs returned to the company to bring Apple computers (also known as Macintoshes) to the top. Taking a look at recent updates to Macintosh’s reliability, compatibility, multimedia capabilities, and security, Apple might once and for all shut the “window” on Windows.

A reliable computer is one that doesn’t crash, but when that happens, the easiest solution is to restart, which can result in losing data. This usually happens because Windows’ software components are connected to each other. For example, if Internet Explorer stops working, the rest of the computer usually stops working too. On a Macintosh, if a program stops working, you can easily “force quit” the affected application. Unlike Window’s software components, which are all connected, Apple’s operating system (OS X) keeps applications separated from each other, and from the operating system itself.

In the past, Apple computers have had trouble working alongside Windows, but this is no longer an issue. The common problem of sharing Word documents between Windows and Macs was eliminated when Microsoft Office made an edition for Apple computers. In the last year, a program called Parallels has been released for Apple computers and allows Windows XP, and now Windows Vista, to run on an Apple computer alongside OS X. Many people go so far as to say that Apple does a better job running Windows than any computer that has it as a standard operating system!

In 2001, Apple released the first iPod, a product that has since changed the music industry. Apple’s iPod comes with iTunes, a software program that makes managing music a breeze. Apple also has software called iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie HD, Garageband, iCal, iChat, and Address Book, all of which use one integrated interface and come standard on every Mac.

Editing and managing photos can be a laborious task on a Windows-based computer; most people consider Windows-based computers for the hardworking and Macs for the artists, but with Steve Job’s innovative ideas, Apple has become a play-hard workaholic computer company that suits every user’s needs. Why suffer through the headaches produced by a Windows computer when Apple computers “just work”?

As many Windows users know, web browsing has become a dangerous endeavor, with over 114,000 viruses creeping through the Internet. Unsuspecting users can easily get infected and lose every file on their hard drive. The solution? Virus software - or buy a Mac. Apple OS X is built on top of Unix, a very secure operating system that is used on some of the most secure machines in the world. Not having to buy anti-virus software can save money, and allows a carefree computer experience.

I grew up using a Windows-based computer. I suffered the headaches, the crashes, and the viruses. Two years ago I switched to a Mac, and since then all I do is enjoy using the computer. If I had to work again on a Windows-based computer, it would be a nightmare. All this leads me to say, “Once you go Mac, you never go back.”

hooper198 said...
Looks like your education might have been overpriced.

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

Totally in agreement.

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

-Ghandi

I'm a PC, not a Mac.Macs are OVER PRICED  and definatly NOT WORTH IT, and don't have enough THID PARTY APPLICATIONS. I just don't like them.

Eddie said...
By the way is this even a review by one of you insanely devoted apple fans or just some pathetic advert that is disguised as a review? YAWN!

Eddie said...

You can force quit applications on windows too, haven't you ever heard of the task manager??? You can even access it by pressing ctrl alt del and it allows you to quit individual applications.

Personally I think macs are just a stupid thing for kids that try hard to be "trendy"

kylielora said...
on Mar. 20 2009 at 3:47 am
i completely agree. i hate windows and i love macs. i went mac and there is no way i will ever go back!

windows are way better than macs but i love the ipods especially the touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thelonepiper said...
no kidding about the Mac. I'm typing this response on one! My friends think I'm crazy, but I don't care. I'm getting XP for my Mac so I can play all the PC games out there. I believe that Macs are faster and easier to use. I recommend getting a Mac, if you don't already have one!