Immigration | Teen Ink

Immigration MAG

By Anonymous

      “I’m more than happy they are working here ... but I want them to be citizens, so they can get benefits and aren’t taking benefits from our citizens,” commented Mayor John Nieland of Marion, Iowa. Unemployment in his city has been caused by subcontractors taking advantage of illegal immigrants’ cheap labor. Iowa is not the only state where this is a problem.

Illegal immigration certainly has been a topic of heated debate recently. The approximately 12 million people making up the illegal population have been accused of harming America’s economy, taking advantage of health benefits, not paying taxes, and destroying our education system.

Multiple reforms have been suggested in hopes of solving the dispute without affecting the American economy or upsetting legal citizens. What are the options? Writer Victor Hanson summarizes them thus: Build a wall! Beef up border security! Fine employers; create a guest-worker program. Insist on tamper-proof identification cards, or detention, deportation, or even amnesty for some illegal aliens.

The only true way to make everyone happy is through compromise. Borders must be closed to prevent further illegal immigration, and immigrants already in the States must be properly documented. If they are not, they should be deported. With documentation, they should live unharmed and be treated as equals. If they disobey American laws, then deportation must follow. Guest workers may continue to apply for working rights in America, but they must undergo extensive background checks to ensure their wishes are honorable.

Until serious logical changes (not massive walls) are instituted, the United States will continue to struggle with the issue.