Sometimes Talking is Just Not Right | Teen Ink

Sometimes Talking is Just Not Right

Even as a teenager myself, I have to admit that we are extremely annoying, rude and demanding people. We feel as a group that we are entitled to what we want and when we want it. This angers me extremely to a point where I refuse to act like this. But what angers me the most about teenagers, is that they feel entitled to act however they want to in public. In places that you are supposed to respect the people around you and be quiet to not affect the experience of the people around you, they scream, shout and talk as loudly as they want to without any consequences.

One of the most recent memories I can recall of this was when I went to go see “Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2” at a local theater near me. It was opening night so the audience was pretty full and the showing was nearly sold out. I was excited to see the conclusion to the series because I never did end up finishing the third book in the series mainly because I lost interest. So I got there about thirty minutes before the movie started, just so I can get a good enough seat, and I succeeded at that getting one directly in the middle, towards the back. About fifteen minutes before the movie started, a group of roughly twenty middle school girls walk in directly in front of my friend and I. They are talking very loudly through all of the previews, but I give it a pass because after all it is just the previews. Then the movie starts. For the first fifteen minutes of the movie, I cannot even focus on it because of these twenty girls sitting in front of me. They were taking photos of each other with the flash on, talking extremely loudly and just sitting on their phones with the brightness all the way up. They were as a annoying as a fly on the wall that you just cannot kill because it keeps flying away. It got to a point where I had enough. I could not concentrate on the movie, and no one else behind me was either. People started to get angry and no one was willing to take action. As a result, I got up out of my seat and went to the manager of the theater and told him that were was a group of people who were annoying and not respecting those around them. Thankfully, the manager was nice enough to approach the group of girls and tell them to be quiet otherwise they would have got kicked out. Ruining the experience for someone else is not something you should aspire to.

But, this was not the last time that I experienced rude teenagers in public. Another instance where something along these lines occurred was when I went to my local library to work on a project with a friend of mine. It was a large project that counted as a big part of our grade and we needed to stay focused because it took up a lot of time. We thought the library would be a good place to meet up because it is a very quiet place and that you are supposed to respect the people around you. However, while I was working on this project, there was a group of younger teenagers who were louder than anyone in the whole library. They were walking around screaming, laughing and making weird noises for no reason. There were lots of people who were reading and trying to concentrate on their work but could not because these people were being so obnoxious. Eventually, one of the librarians was so angered that she approached the two of them and kicked them out for being so loud and rude to the people around them.

It irritates me to no end that every time I go to any public place where you are supposed to be quiet and respect your surroundings, a teenager has the possibility to ruin my experience or act obnoxious. It happens too frequently and gets lots of people infuriated. It is not fair that everyone else’s experience is ruined say at a movie because someone feels the need to talk. More restrictions need to be put in place and us, as a society should stop tolerating it. If someone is acting, we should point it out to everyone and make him or her embarrassed. Everyone has the right to talk, but sometimes it is not the right time.

I cannot stand people who think that they can say what they want, when they want instead of respecting the people around them.