Oblivious and Capricious | Teen Ink

Oblivious and Capricious

We have the gift of consciousness, and we even are aware of this gift we have. We understand the biological limitations and capacities of our bodies. Without us, the world would have no one to appreciate and experience the sounds of laughter, the heat and cold. Without humanity, there would be nothingness because there's no one to appreciate and perceive its existence. As my English professor would say, "If Picasso painted something amazing, but he kept it locked up in his tool shed and for some reason it burned to ashes... Would his painting have actually existed?" The answer to this rhetorical question is: No. Yes, the painting was physically created and there may be receipts that prove paint and canvas were bought, but no one ever saw the work. No one understood the depth of the truth behind his art. There was no one to appreciate it. With this said, human beings are truly amazing.
But there's this certain oblivious side us human beings have--we don't realize how horribly flawed we are. Despite being created to such perfection and with such ability to be almost divine, we tend towards evil and wrongdoing. It is envy, it is sadism, and hatred that reign our hearts.

One can only begin to imagine the atrocities we commit towards one another. In the past five years, I have become more and more aware of all of the violence and all of the death caused because country leaders are power greedy. I have heard horrible stories of babies being kidnapped to sell their organs. I have heard stories of people who have disabilities being taken advantage of and ridiculed. There are so many flaws in humankind that can not be ignored or erased. There is too much pain and injustice beyond belief being inflicted from one human being to the next. Regardless of sex, religion, race and other labels that segregate us, we are all human beings.

We are all just as valuable as the next person. We are just as intricate and talented as the next person. We are all as insecure and afraid as the person next to us. We are all flawed. That alone unites us.

There are so many thieves out there calling themselves world leaders and executives of important companies. They rob people of their divinity, of their equality, of the individuality, education among other things. These thieves along with any one who is okay with oppressing another human being is stealing the most precious gift of all: the joy of life.

Instead of committing evil deeds that only return to us in misfortune we should share the awareness of how flawed we are. We should help each other wake up from the oblivion clouding our minds and prohibiting us from loving and respecting one another. We should fight the capricious act of getting everything we desire. We should stop coveting materialistic riches and focus on rewards of appreciating the goodness that does exist in the world. We are amazingly capable.

This transition is not going to be as easy as saying: "Why don't we all just hold hands and skip through medows?"
This change is going to be tough because we are fighting strong enemies. We are fighting ourselves we are fighting our own oblivion and capriciousness. Perhaps, something will strike and will relate to one of you out there. The ultimate goal is to fix our mistakes, and the first thing to do is to raise awareness of it.

I was sharing a very personal experience with someone else and when they shared a shocking experience with me, I became extremely overwhelmed with emotions. My eyes welled up and I felt so powerless in protecting my loved ones. I put myself in that person's place and could not bare the pain I felt through empathy. I strongly wanted to share the message that, as human beings, we are extremely powerful and have so much control of our actions. We are also all horribly flawed. I felt that if I could I atleast vent and publish this message I would not feel so powerless against my own flaws and the flaws of humankind.