Teens Should Not Be Dieting | Teen Ink

Teens Should Not Be Dieting

June 4, 2015
By christinapascoe BRONZE, Williamsville, New York
christinapascoe BRONZE, Williamsville, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you know many teens turn to dieting? Dieting as young as a teenager is taking a step in the wrong direction if not done right. Teens that diet have risks of causing long term damage to their body. Many people put out there that if you're thin you are happy and in control of your life, but people can be happy in any shape or size. 

 

If you are unsatisfied or thinking about dieting make sure you get good information on how to diet right, so then in the long run you don’t get serious health problems. One of the strongest message people put out there is begining thin is a good thing. It makes you look like you're in control of your life that you are more confident about your body in which some ways it's true, but others ways can be harmful if it was done by dieting. Pressure also comes with wanting to be thin, but there are other ways to lose weight. Some weight is good for you, you don’t want to be too thin that you look unhealthy begining to thin doesn’t look right. Its okay to be bigger. Several of us when aren’t comfortable with our bodies we go to dieting, we think it can change our bodies for the better and make us happier with ourselves. This could be unhealthy if you are not dieting the right way. Long term health problems can be in your future. Dieting is not a good or healthy choice usually doesn't work or turn out the way we want it . We teens have always felt self-conscious, about our bodies. That doesn’t mean we have to resort to dieting there are many other ways to get thinner than dieting. 


We teens when we want to change our body think what about dieting or what about a diet. We teens now a days eat junk food everyday, it could be anything from sweetened drinks to fizzy drinks or like soda/pop, the snacks like potato chips carry high in kilojoules, this can make your body have a positive or negative effect on power, the fuel your body needs. Sometimes when you do small things they can have a big impact. Dieting can go either way it can and keep you healthy or it can help you lose weight and not be able to gain any weight back, this can lead to serious health problems. Dont make food choices just because you heard a myth or a rumor about it you never know it could be false, don’t ignore food because you heard something about it you can still try it and you never know until you try if you like it or the myth or rumor was true until you give it a shot. You may think that you can’t get a heart attack in mid-life but it is always a possibility you might even have health problems now if you were dieting.


Did you know that extreme dieting can lead to eating disorder? One out of four teenagers has anorexia. Dieting doesn't just affect women it also affects men too. Male and females are equally dieting and also equally able to get dieting disorder. Anorexia is diagnosed with 15% below their ideal weight, have intense fear of being fat, even if they are underweight, this disorder can make you distorted image of their body and denial of the problem of their being underweight, to have amenorrhea (missing three periods in a row), may also binge and purge. 


Now a days we teens have rapid weight gain but that is okay. Many of us are at that age that are growing muscles, fats and bones that change our bodies. Some of us start to developing as early as eight but some of us start not until 14 it is normal for us to be the same weight but different heights. This topics include strategies for weight loss and talk about the appropriate weight expectations. Most of us gain weight more rapidly during this time because as the same amounts of muscles, fats, and bone are being changed in their bodies, all this weight gain is fine.
Did you know many of us chose dieting to change our bodies, but it shouldn't matter as long we are happy with ourselves, it shouldn't matter the size or shape we are. Many people put out there that thinner is better but is it really? I support that we should not diet because it can lead to long term health problems. 1-4 boys are anorexic  because of dieting alone. Before I researched this I thought dieting was just something that can help you lose weight but know since I read through some articles I know now that dieting is seriously something we should rethink of doing. Would you be willing to diet now to fit in and have long term health problems? Are you going to take the risk of having serious health problems?

 

 

 

            Reference 

Also Try. (2006). Retrieved June 2, 2015, from http://www.dailystrenght.org/c/Weight-loss-for-teens/support-group 

  Home | Better Health Channel. (1999). Retrieved June 2, 2015, from http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/ 

Dieting: Information for teens. (2014). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/dieting_information_for_teens 

University of Michigan Health System. (2015). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/tv.htm