Sherman Marches through Georgia | Teen Ink

Sherman Marches through Georgia

By Briahna SILVER, Lancaster, Ohio
Briahna SILVER, Lancaster, Ohio

Mind over matter

In the few weeks after taking the city of Atlanta, Georgia and forcing the Confederate General, Hood out of the Union. Sherman made one of the wisest choices of the Civil War. He made this decision after Hood and his army invaded Tennessee, a frequently disputed over state in an attempt to draw Sherman out of Georgia. Sherman decided to leave his main supply base and march his entire army from Atlanta to Savannah, Georgia.

One of the reasons for the march was to show that his army could move fast and independently, and that it could supply itself on the journey. Some of Sherman’s other reasons for conducting the march was to move his base to Savannah. Sherman also wanted to extinguish the morals of southern citizens because the people were who almost completely supplied the Confederate Army. And he figured if he ruined morals that the supplying would end and so would the war. Sherman wanted the South to “feel the hard hand of the war”. During the march the Union Army would rip up train tracks, heat them and wrap them around trees so they couldn’t be used to resupply the army or to reinforce Savannah. Sherman also wanted to show women that they could suffer from the war too. In the South while the men were away fighting the women were left to tend to the crops, farms and factories and they were doing a good job. So Sherman proved his point by taking or burning what was in the barns or crops. The march through Georgia had many great reasons behind it. But there was one reason, one main goal that would be a turning point in the Civil War. Obviously it was to capture Savannah, but this was because, if Savannah was captures that would cut off almost all the South from General Lee and his army. They were stationed in northern Virginia.
Sherman’s plan to march through Georgia, even with all these great reasons, was still criticized by the then president, Abraham Lincoln. On the other hand Sherman’s mentor Lieutenant General S. Grant was convinced by Sherman that the march was the right thing to do in the course of the war. Sherman said he would, “make Georgia howl”.

I believe General Sherman made the bold move to march through Georgia to prove himself, his army and what they’re capable of, more than what the already had. I think he wanted to prove this not only to himself but to everyone. I also think Sherman wanted to be sure the southern citizens knew “it isn’t so sweet to secede”

this id for an essay contest PLEASE critique it

-thanks-:)