The Scarlet Letter Essay | Teen Ink

The Scarlet Letter Essay

By Kyra Dollar BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Kyra Dollar BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

A sin is an act against God's will. Each sin has a different punishment and effect on a person's life. Author Nathaniel Hawthorne writes the novel The Scarlet Letter to show the tragedy of sinful acts. After a sin takes places, the effects are shown through the character. Hester Prynne, Authur Dimmesdale, and Roger Chillingsworth all commit a sin that profoundly impacts their character and future.

Hester Prynne's sin of adultery changes her reputation, outlook, and selfishness in herself. Having a child with another man causes Hester to become stronger as she faces the crowd. Hester is willing to face the embarrassment when she "[did] not flee" the town (Hawthorne 74). The town begins to realize how much "helpfulness [was] found" as Hester begins to care for others (Hawthorne 146). Hester realizes she can handle herself and Pearl alone. Hester is alone for a total of "seven long years" and finds herself to be a strong, independent women (Hawthorne 159). Hester becomes helpful to others as a "sister of mercy" (Hawthorne 146). Hester's sinning is due to her young marriage with an unwilling husband.

Authur Dimmesdale is miserable, un-fatherly, and quiet about his secret affair. Dimmesdale is unhappy and alone. Authur hurts himself by using the "bloody scourge" because of his regret in sinning (Hawthorne 132). Authur isn't active in Pearl's life since he said "I dare not quit my post!" (Hawthorne 178). Dimmesdale keeps the affair quiet until guilt kills him. Authur does not want others to judge him for being a minister and punishes himself. Authur asks Hester ""to keep our secret"" and carries his hand over his symbol (Hawthorne 177). Authur commits his sin because he did not practice what he taught others about the consequences of sin.

Roger Chillingsworth, who wants to hurt Dimmesdale, is a mean, harmful, and devil-like person. Roger is intentionally willing to hurt others. Roger is angry about Hester cheating on him and wants Dimmesdale to have "the revenge ... stooped for" (Hawthorne 151). Chillingworth is willing to kill Dimmesdale and said it is ""better had he died at once"" (Hawthorne 155). Chillingworth is going against everyone. Roger has become so angry and is "transforming...a devil" (Hawthorne 153). Roger takes up a fake identity as Chillingworth in order to act evil. Roger Chillingsworth commits his sin to make himself feel better.

All in all, Hester, Chillingsworth, and Dimmesdale each undergo a transformation through the novel. Today, a punishment is not given to someone who commits a sin like Hester does. Sin is a part of the modern day society. Hester, Chillingsworth, and Dimmesdale all go through troubles because they did not think of the consequences. The author is trying to show that people should think of the consequences before doing something that could drastically effect their life.