My Transcendentalist Experience | Teen Ink

My Transcendentalist Experience

October 31, 2013
By xMe1x BRONZE, Congers, New York
xMe1x BRONZE, Congers, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am outside in the cold, sitting by the main entrance. I should probably go inside but, I am waiting for my mom to pick me up. I hear students talking. One girl says “That’s so cute! She’s such a drama queen.” I wonder who she could be talking about. Maybe a student was complaining about how he/she got a 99% on a test instead of 100%. Who knows? The wind blew leaves on me. The cold breeze and flowing leaves remind me of the years when I used to go apple picking with my family. I believe I had the best childhood.

When I sit and wait, I feel left out. I feel like everyone is in their own “clique” and I’m here making conversation with my own self. When I look out towards the vast parking lot and the many different cars, I feel a sense of diversity. We live in this big, wide world with people who possess different attitudes and virtues. It seems hard enough to live in such a big city, but to also contend with the different types of people is a challenge. I often believe that some people aren’t strong enough to live in this world and its contents.

I have realized that, as you sit out in the nature, among others or in an empty room, and write what is on your mind, you begin to recognize that one tree is taller than another tree, one girl has on 10 bangles, or that you wish you were a bird so you can fly away from the burdens of society. To be alone for a short period of time can teach us the many details that we yet to know about our own selves. It’s a time to reflect and to begin to identify the type of person you are and the type of person you hope to be in the future.


The author's comments:
This writing assignment was given to me by my English teacher. The task was to spend 30 minutes anywhere, by yourself with no electronics. Our class was told to write anything that came to their mind. I took my 30 minutes and my surroundings and reflected on the society. We were to act like the transcendentalist Thoreau did and explore our own natural world.