The Ideal Parent | Teen Ink

The Ideal Parent

By ShawnGarrett97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
ShawnGarrett97 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

The Ideal Parent

Every day, I hear stories of how people’s parents don’t care that they do drugs or fail in school, and I wonder if those kids care. A parent that doesn’t care whether you mess up in life isn’t the “ideal parent.” Sometimes I do wish that my dad was less strict about grades and such because it annoys me but I know that in the long run, his strictness will be for the best of me. For the kids that are allowed to receivebad grades and drink alcohol and do drugs, they won’t be prepared for the real world and will eventually end up being poor. I think that is what Obama’s message was in his Father’s Day speech. He was saying that parents need to be more involved and care about their children’s lives. The ideal parent is someone who loves you, supports your decisions, and has high expectations for you, no matter what the situation may be.

Since life has evolved in a major way, kids now think that the ideal parent is someone who gives themwhatever, spoils you, and lets you do whatever you want. No one cares about their future anymore because they don’t someone in their life to guide them, which is why our generation is so involved in nonsense. In his speech, Obama says, “as fathers and parents, we’ve got to spend more time with them, and help them with their homework, and replace the video game or the remote control with a book once in a while.” This is what needs to be done in order to better our youth. Too many parents aren’t involved in their kid’s lives and that is when bad happens. Obama is saying that instead of letting your kids play video games or watch TV all day, you should give them some knowledge because that is what will matter when they’re older.
In Kite Runner, Baba has high expectations for his son Amir, but he doesn’t support any of his decisions. He tries to live Amir’s life for him, which doesn’t make him the ideal parent. I don’t think that he is a bad parent, just unappreciative of his son. On page 21, Rahim Khan says, “Children aren’t coloring books. You don’t get to fill them with your favorite colors.” This quote is so strong because it means so much and it applies directly to Baba because he wanted Amir to be all these things, but that just wasn’t him; he couldn’t accept that.
Baba had the potential to be a great father; he just let his insecurities get in his way. He says that he wants Amir to be more like him but in the end, they are both the same: liars. Amir lied about watching Hassan getting raped, and Baba lied about Amir and Hassan being brothers; therefore, Baba should have nothing to degrade Amir for, except for the fact that he won’t do what Baba wants. I think that Rahim Khan would be a good parent for Amir because he supports what he does in life and believes in him. He also we would do anything for Amir, which is what the ideal parent would do. On page 22, Rahim Khan says, “you just need to let him find his way.” He is arguing with Baba in this quote because Baba thinks something is wrong with Amir. Rahim is just saying that he needs to let Amir live his own life, and do what he thinks is best for himself. With Baba’s high expectations and Rahim Khan’s support and understanding, they would make the perfect parent.
In conclusion, in order for parents to be the best they can be, they must always love, support, protect, and push their kids. Too many kids live life with no relationships with their parents. It is important that parents interact with their kids more and are more involved in their lives. Overall it will better our youth, and the world will be more positive. Everyone needs a family and a family that cares; therefore, both parents and children need to make an effort to do so. Whether it is going out to dinner, playing catch, watching TV together, getting helped with homework, or working around the house, parents need to help, support, love, and protect their kids.

This essay is about what I think the "ideal parent" should be like.