Nut Allergies Take Schools by Storm | Teen Ink

Nut Allergies Take Schools by Storm

By Gracien Lorincz BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Gracien Lorincz BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Nut Allergies are Taking Schools by Storm

Growing up with a sister that has many allergies is hard but seeing what she has to endure every day has changed my perspective of children with allergies. Nut allergies are a common allergy spreading fast through children in schools. In order to keep the safety of the children nuts need to be taken out of school.
Parents are sending their kids to school with the worry of peanuts and nuts being able to harm them or possibly kill them if medication is not administered to them. Nuts are now a common allergy. Some kid’s allergies are severe or sometimes life threatening and need administration of an epi-pen. Peanut butter and other nuts are allowed in schools for one reason; it’s a common lunch item. But with this nut allergy crisis on the rise should schools allow nuts?
Safety, every school needs to have it. But supplying nuts in school is not really safe is it? With this allergy on the rise a lot of kids with anaphylactic reactions are being put in danger. Anaphylactic Reaction – an allergic reaction that appears rapidly causing swelling, rash, low blood pressure, and in some cases even result in death. Safety is not being used because kids are still having anaphylactic reactions because of nut exposure in schools.
Bullying is now a major topic now days but what people don’t realize that kids that are allergic to popular foods such as peanut butter they are bullied for what they can’t eat. Kids that are born with allergies do not receive them from doing something. This bullying in serious cases could lead to attempted suicide, or mental and physical harm. This bullying could be stopped by taking nuts out of school all together.
When I was little my sister always had extreme stomach aches that left her curled up in a ball on the floor. We always thought maybe it was a bad food she ate, maybe if we changed her diet. But we later found out we could not change what my sister was eating we had to change what our WHOLE family was eating. My sister has an esophageal ulcer. This ulcer is affected by her challenge. She is allergic to carrots, tomatoes, NUTS, green beans, beef, shellfish, and dairy. When this food is eaten the acid in her stomach slowly eats her stomach. This may seem horrific but it can be controlled by not eating these specific foods. As you may have seen nuts were on the list. But so many young children at my sisters school are allergic the whole school has gone nut free. This allergy can easily be prevented by taking nuts out of schools which will help children and parents stop worrying and stay safe.
Nut allergies are a big issue nowadays. Kids are now put in danger if nuts are allowed/brought into school. This mass safety issue can be solved by making the schools nut free. Would you be willing to risk another kid’s safety to bring in your peanut butter sandwich and or nuts?