Chewing Gum at School | Teen Ink

Chewing Gum at School

Gum chewing at school, no way! That is the worst idea ever. Letting irresponsible kids chew gum is just plain unwise.

I can’t imagine how annoying that would be. The sound would drive anyone mad. For example whenever my brother chews gum he smacks his lips. When in peace and quiet if someone in the vicinity, starts chewing gum, then you can hear their jaw working. The motion will distract anyone who is observant. You may be able to chew quieter, but you can’t chew without your jaw moving. Different gums smell differently. Some sents will make some people notious. For example bubbleitios make me notious and then I can’t focus. Their is no doubt that chewing gum is a disturbance in the classroom.

Also all principals no matter what school want to have a clean campus. More than half the kids I know don’t through away gum. Where does it end up? About one third of the time it is under chairs or desks. That make it discusting to everyone else.
No won wants to touch gum with their hand. Also one third of the time it gets stuck on walls. If it is outside then it had better be removed quickly or be their forever. For
Example when the gum is in the sun and heat of Florida it praticaly turns into cement. Their is the same problem if it gets stuck, dropped or spit on the ground. It might never go away, but it also might get stepped on. Then it is stuck to the botton of someone’s shoe. No one wants to have to remove it, but no one wants to keep it their. Clean campuses also appear to b e of a higher quality.

When chewing gum it modifies the airflow you get. In some classes such as Spanish, French, Latin, Chorus and band it is necessary to have a normal airflow. In foreign language classes having gum in your mouth makes it hard for others to understand you and it makes it impossible to speak with a proper accent. In Chorus and band there is the possibility that the gum will shoot out over someone’s mouth. In Chorus it might hit someone else or it might just fall onto the floor, but in band the gum could get stuck in your instrument making it useless. Gum also obstructs the tongue and makes it hard for people to understand you no matter where you are. When exercising it lowers the amount of oxygen your lungs get. If you’re working hard, but you are chewing gum you might pass out or get light headed.

Those are obvious reasons that instantly let you see how chewing gum affects performance negatively in or out of a classroom. I think that if people thought about it, they wouldn’t chew gum. It definitely shouldn’t be allowed at school.