I'll Never Let Go | Teen Ink

I'll Never Let Go

I’ll Never Let Go

Jack Dawson is a man that knows exactly where he wants to be, he just doesn’t have the money to get him there. Rose De Witt Bukater, a seventeen-year-old aristocrat only wishes to live her own life and her mom to stop dictating it. Written and Directed by James Cameron in 1997, Titanic is a film that stole the hearts of people all around the world. Jack wins a ticket to go back to America, to his family on the ship that’s supposed to be the most impressive, unsinkable ship around. Where he soon meets the girl of his dreams and everything in his life changes. Titanic defines the American Dream as the desire for that one love that out beats all the rest, while all in the pursuit of finding a better life for yourself.

Throughout the movie James Cameron used a story line to show the love story that steals every ones heart. Jack and Rose have a love so strong, they would do anything for one another, even if it meant their lives would have to come to a dramatic end. “You jump, I jump Remember? I can’t turn away without knowing you’ll be alright.” Neither of them cares what it takes to make sure that the other is safe; they both do heroic things throughout the entire film. Jack implores Rose to, “C’mon give me your hand. You don’t want to do this.” From the very beginning of the film, he saves her life, all the way until the very end of his life. “Don’t do that, don’t say your good-byes…. Promise me you’ll survive. That you wont give up…. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.” From the time Jack laid eyes on Rose he knew that she was meant to be the love of his life, and that she was. This story makes many American women pray for the day that they find that special guy, the one that would jump off of a ship into the freezing water to save their life. Their love story is the perfect example of the American dream, one that is never ending and would do anything for one another.

Cameron applies symbolism in this story, using jack as a symbol for Rose wanting more for her life and more in her life. Wanting more than what her mother wants for her, she is sick of being told what to do. She has now fallen in love with Jack. “I love you, Jack” Him being the only thing that she now wants, wanting to have that perfect American Dream with him in America. “When the ship docks, I’m getting off with you. I know it doesn’t make any sense. That’s why I trust it.” Rose’s dreams had come true on that ship. “Titanic was called the Ship Of Dreams, and it was. It really was.” She accessed her own life, met the man of her dreams, and became everything that she wished she would, all being apart of the American Dream.

Rose and Jack are a few of the lucky people in this world who found their American Dream, the ones who found that one love story that makes every ones heart melt, while finding themselves at the same time. Everyone has their own perception of the American Dream, it depends on how you look at it, and what you want in life. Rose and Jack have their own perception of the American Dream, but it remains just that; a dream. Finding that one person can make your life something to live or die for, not everyone gets that chance. Would you give up your life for a girl, that you just met?

High School Essay