Like, no | Teen Ink

Like, no

By amandat25 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
amandat25 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

Admit it, we all know those annoying preppy girls who really don’t know how to talk. I honestly don’t think a single one of you can say you don’t. Think to yourself, what word really is the word to blame for them being so annoying? Like, right? Like is the word that unfortunately sounds good no matter where you put it in a sentence. Sadly, girls like this decide to take advantage of that and use it all the time. Ladies and gentlemen, if I had any sort of power to remove a word from the English language, for the sake of my sanity, I would remove “like”.

“Like” is a, corresponding or agreeing in general or in some noticeable respect, but its not even put to use properly today. “Like oh my gosh, I can’t believe she thinks she can do that, how like annoying of her, like ugh.” This is not how the word is supposed to be used; therefore it makes the word annoying. Stating that you ‘like’ a piece of art, or that you ‘like’ the food someone has prepared is correct and can make sense. However, wouldn’t it be much more respectful and meaningful to say that the art is beautiful and the food enjoyable? There are other words that can replace “like” that would even be better, and it’s not as though the word would be missed.

Now, let’s be real here. When girls decide to talk this way, can you even understand them? Just as they’re trying to explain something to you, you become extremely confused because you don't even know what they're saying! You have to stop what you’re doing to put effort into the conversation. So why would it make sense to keep the word, why would you not just remove it? Then you would be able to have a normal conversation with everyone and probably get a lot more done during the day. “Like” is clearly a word we do not need in our language.

Hopefully, you now realize that taking the word “like” out of the English language would not only help your sanity, but create a better language for us to speak. Using words that can replace “like” will make us sound as though we care a lot more about something. Taking this word out of our language would also allow us to be able to have conversation with everyone! Over all, this word needs to go!

This is the same essay but slightly revised.