Life Lessons and Morals | Teen Ink

Life Lessons and Morals

December 5, 2011
By Ryanbonbyan SILVER, Halifax, Other
Ryanbonbyan SILVER, Halifax, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss


I’m not religious. I never have been. I was never christened, as my parents thought I should have a decision like that for myself. I do not stereotype religious people, and I would not look up or down to them solely on their beliefs.

I say this because our world lacks faith. We no longer can believe it things that are not solid. Our lives are empirical, and if we cannot prove it, we cannot believe.

Why must our world be so? People are blinded by the pursuit of truth and the desire to falsify that we lose sight of the moral. People look past religion because they cannot believe in miracles. People look past the boy because they say his speech is fake, and this is what lead me to write this.

I’ve just seen Jonah Mowry’s video on how he was bullied and the comments of speculation saying the whole thing is a hoax. His video is powerful; nothing can change that. But people try to, they tell us the boy is not true about his experiences, but this video is more than a single boy. The boy is an image, greater than a single person and able of encompassing millions in it’s wake. These millions can relate to the experience, the image. The boy was merely a vessel for the story, for the moral.

Now imagine religion. The morals it teaches millions across the world to those who have been lost, who needed guidance. Ignore everything but the morals it teaches. Would a single man who advised people to live their life as the Bible says be so bad? Be so unrealistic? What’s important is that it helps many to live their lives in such a great way that they enjoy, any negative opinions and remarks are as bad as Jonah’s bullies.

Modern day life lessons should be taken in, absorbed into our ideologies and consciousness and used as we see fit to better our and others experiences during our lives. Don’t look too deeply into it, simply take the moral and use it as it can be best used. Be it to lead a righteous life, to stop putting others down or to help someone.

Life can be rough, and if we never learn the lessons we are being given because we’re still looking at a missed moral, how can we expect to get the best of life?