School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms

May 10, 2011
By Mark Davis BRONZE, Bear, Delaware
Mark Davis BRONZE, Bear, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am 15 years old and have spent my entire school life in some type of school uniform with the exception of pre-school, so I think I know enough about the subject to share my point of view.

At seven years old you don’t really care what you wear to school, but as you get older you try to express yourself in the type of clothes you wear. It’s hard to do when everyone has to dress the same way. To make ourselves stand out the boys would wear different bands on our wrists and the girls would wear jewelry and accessories in their hair.

I always heard from my parents that you can’t tell the rich kids from the poor kids when everyone wears the same uniform, but I think that’s a load of crap. Kids wear designer shoes and high priced sneakers or carry designer bags, so it’s pretty easy to spot the kids who have money.

A benefit of having uniforms is getting ready in the morning is a lot quicker because there’s no question as to what you have to wear. The opposite of that is it takes me longer to get ready because I have shirts to iron, shoes to shine and ribbons to align correctly on my shirt. I guess you’re wondering what kind of school makes you do all that to your uniform. If you haven’t guessed already, I attend a military academy.

I agree with school uniforms because people won’t make fun of you for what you’re wearing and it keeps the cost of buying school clothing down for parents. I only wish our school would have more casual days to allow us to wear our street clothes. Maybe they should award it for good behavior for the kids that do well in school.