Dear JSYK.com | Teen Ink

Dear JSYK.com

December 4, 2010
By ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida
ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 226 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o


Dear JSYK.com,

There is a cholera epidemic in Haiti.

There are children in South America as young as nine carrying around heavy machine guns.

There are 43.6 million people in the United States living in poverty.

There is a global economic crisis going on.

There is a drug war happening barely outside of US borders, in Mexico.

There are greedy oil companies destroying the environment.

There is a chance that wild tigers will be extinct by 2022.

There are teenagers getting shot and killed in gang violence every day.

North Korea is shooting missiles at South Korea.

One in three American citizens say that they don’t trust the government’s decision making skills.

Justin Bieber had a bad hair day.

Now, which one of these things is the least important? Anyone with a thimbleful of sense will chose Justin Bieber. Clearly you guys must not have known about the about the other ten issues. I’m sure that if you did, you would have written articles about things that are important to the world, the future, MY future. I haven’t seen one article on your website that addresses anything more important to the world than any of the above mentioned items.

You may say “Oh, you [you being the users of JSYK] are just kids, you don’t need to worry about this stuff. You don’t even care!” But you’re wrong. I do care. I’m 13 years old. Old enough to watch the news. Old enough to see what’s happening around the world. Old enough to realize that what happens outside my little bubble is still going to affect me way more than Alex Pettyfer’s scars.

Maybe most “teens” don’t care. However, I propose an experiment. How about for one week, you don’t publish any articles about celebrities. Tell people about what’s really going on in the world, and see what kind of comments you get. At the end of the week, decide if it’s more enlightening for us to be slightly uncomfortable and know what’s going on, or totally blind and carefree.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

My name


The author's comments:
I guess there's really nothing to explain.