Politically Correct | Teen Ink

Politically Correct

By Mighty.Morphing.Brower.Ranger GOLD, South Haven, Michigan
Mighty.Morphing.Brower.Ranger GOLD, South Haven, Michigan

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any variation is bad.

Happy Holidays! That seems to be what you hear a lot now, thanks to the nation's attempt at being Politically Correct. Its funny, when you think about it, that religion and beliefs like them are factoring into society so greatly when the government has made such lengthy attempts to cut them out. You won't see as many "Merry Christmas" signs out it the snow this year, even though most of our country celebrates it.
No one seems to have an issue with the other major holidays around this time, such as Hannukuh or Kwanza. Or at least, not as much of an issue. You are still discouraged to say "Happy Hannukuh". Again, the alternitive "Happy Holidays", is encouraged in its place. But the focus of the Holiday battle remains on Christmas...Because, as I mentioned, it remains the holiday most people celebrate.
T.V. Stars are asked not to say, "Merry Christmas", on t.v. That dosen't stop many people, though. They end up saying it out of spite, and I can't disagree with them. The fact of the matter is that just because someone says "Merry Christmas", It dosen't mean they think YOU shouldn't say, "Happy Kwanza!" It's just their way to celebrate. It's their Opinion.
Now, maybe I just missed the memo, but aren't we allowed to have out own thoughts and opinions in this country? Aren't we allowed our say? Anything can offend someone. This article might offened someone. That dosen't take away my right to wright it, it just gives you the right not to pay attention to it. So why put a restriction on saying things? When did that become okay?

I honestly don't understand the world we are living in sometimes. There are people out there who really could do some damage, and laws that don't make sense, but the government decides to go after those who are decking the halls and being jolly? Strange thinking, if you ask me.
So, I'll leave you alone now, but Merry Christmas! Happy Hannukuh, and Happy Kwanza...(Or whatever you celebrate, Just to be Politically correct)

avidreader said...
Since everyone celebrates a "holiday," the phrase "happy holidays" is more inclusive and better for a pluralistic society.

on Dec. 10 2013 at 12:04 am
True that. We have our right of speech. When we say 'Merry Christmas' It might've offended somebody, but they just have to ignore it. I'm sure all of Obama's speeches offended at least a few thousand people. Heck, Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech offended people too; look what it's done to change our country! You are so totally right.