Get Out the Vote | Teen Ink

Get Out the Vote MAG

By Anonymous

This will be the year of several firsts in our political system. The Democratic Party will choose either a woman or an African-American man as its candidate, both firsts in U.S. history. This will certainly be a significant time in my life, since it is the first opportunity I will be able to vote in a presidential election. I would like to encourage all eligible teens and young adults to register to vote in this upcoming election.

Day after day we hear and read stories about the candidates and the issues they stand for. There have been numerous debates in which we witnessed the candidates discuss their platforms. It is impossible not to know where they stand. Television, newspapers, and radio are all doing their job to keep us informed, but before long it will be our responsibility to act on this information. The Youth Vote Coalition says, “Trying to convince young people to vote often can be an exercise in frustration.”

The right to vote is fundamental in our country. As young adults, we must register and take advantage of this opportunity. The Youth Vote Coalition states that young Americans have an enormous part to play in the decisions made by politicians. For one, we must be concerned if Social Security and Medicare will be available to us when we retire.

Countless Americans say that they are not interested in voting or that they don’t want to take the time to register. Nevertheless, it is our right as citizens to vote and attempt to make a difference and express our opinions. Many citizens complain about our country’s politics. Here is our chance to change it, to make a statement, and to improve it. We have no excuse to be uninformed. Join me! If you’re not registered to vote, get registered. If you are, do your part, and vote!