Embracing Banned Books | Teen Ink

Embracing Banned Books MAG

By Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

How many students in school today recently spent a quiet weekend at home with the Harry Potter books? How many others doggedly applied themselves to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or The Catcher in the Rye, trying to glean enough understanding for an acceptable book report? Both experiences are common to many high-school students. Unfortunately, these books are no longer available to some teenagers whose ­parents and educators have deemed them ­unacceptable.

Throughout the last few years, many parents and professionals have made an attempt to remove books they feel are “inappropriate” from the hands of students. These novels are categorized this way for a variety of reasons, including drug use, violence, sexuality, and profanity; some, like the Harry Potter books, have even been accused of endorsing occultism and Satanism. In light of these claims, many libraries, schools, and teachers have been forced to remove them from coursework and ­collections.

While some may panic when exposed to ideas different from their own, in my opinion, the broadening of the mind through literature is never wrong. When scholars read books of “questionable” substance, their moral values and beliefs are challenged, tested, and often, ultimately strengthened. As young adults, only we really know if we are mature enough to cope with a particular subject matter. If the truth is that we are not, our parents should ensure that we don't read books that call for a higher level of maturity. No one else should have the right to make that decision for an entire group of students. No school administrator, politician, or government official should be able to eradicate our freedom to enjoy the written word as we please.

Personally, when I am searching for a new novel, I prefer to select one that will expose me to new ideas, sometimes drastically different from my own. Books of philosophy, debates, and novels based in ancient civilizations (especially Greek and Roman) are guaranteed to present new concepts, whether about the meaning of love, the idea of fate, or other philosophical ideas. Reading authors from other eras helps us understand that other cultures often embrace ideas and lifestyles that our society has struggled with. For example, in the times of early thinkers like Socrates and Aristotle, homosexuality was widely accepted, and not a subject of contention or debate. Very different from today's world, wouldn't you say?

I strongly urge teenage readers to find novels and stories that challenge you, and force you to think outside your comfort zone. Do not dismiss a writer's work because you disagree with the character's opinions or values; instead, face these conflicting beliefs head on. Because if you are unwilling to test your opinion, how can you be sure it is truly your opinion at all?

I was inspired to write this piece a few weeks ago. I had entered the local library, and was desperately searching for a book I had heard about from a friend over the Internet. After an hour of scouring the shelves, I had given up nearly all hope of unearthing the novel, and had dragged my feet over to the librarian. She had seen me looking over the shelves, and asked what I was looking for. To my utter dismay and horror, I learned that my long sought after story had been removed from the inventory, as it had received many complaints nationwide concerning its contents…

on Mar. 15 2010 at 12:10 am
splatterpunk PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona
dude true i cant go and read H.P Lovecraft at school because of a lot of thing you talked about. There has to be a change

I'm looking into it - I'll return when I find something...

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

That would be great. I'm not sure how we'd do this, but we should organize a petition or strike against the banning of books and maybe we could make that rule change!

Hm, probably, I'll ask her!

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

Sorry i don't have any names, but do you think your librarian would know something like that?

DreamWriter17 PLATINUM, Marengo, Indiana

learn from your past to live for the future.

I understand. I was simply stating my opinion on something in the paper which I did not agree with, regardless of how you were using it. I'm sure you know my thoughts on the matter. I happen to agree with your point, though. Its just that one statement that seemed a wee bit iffy.

I want to send it to someone, but I'm not sure who has the finale say in banning literature. The government does surely, but some places it is only the opinion of the institution or faculty...if you have any names, I'll be sure to send it right away! ;-)

I hate to be rude, but your opinion on homosexuality was irrelevant to the government mandated literature banning.

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

YES! Now we just need to get this to the people who ban books! I completely and entirely agree with you. We are responsible enough to decide what we want to read, and to read stuff that conflicts our beliefs!

Thanks Niki! I appreciate it! :-)

Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Stupid Is As Stupid Does." -Forest Gump (;
"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."

Thats so true. Its as if they don't realize that we really don't care about the stuff they use in books. Granted some stuff can be pretty vial but I mean personally I dont think some swearing is bad, sometimes it even gives the book some character. And people use some of this language in their everyday lives so it wont really affect them if they say something like that in a book. Very well written, you really show how you feel about a situation. Great job.

Read a review of them online, and they sound like good ones! I'm definitly going to look into getting my hands on them.

Shambler92 PLATINUM, Buenos Aires, Other
Naked Lunch by William S Burroughs

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Two ground-breaking novels, both once banned in the U.S.

I understand. I was just stating my opinion.

That particular reference was neither promoting nor condeming homosexuality. I made a note of it because in the time of Socrates and other ancient philosophers (most especially in the Greek culture) sexuality in general was not valued quite heavely; rather, the relationship between two people - be it friends, lovers, or married couples - and the love they felt for each other was given the higher view. In the ancient Greek times, relationships that intailed physical relationships could be between any or all of these - friends, lovers, or married couples - and gender was neither a barring block nor a prerequsite. The mentioned account towards homosexuality was mentioned because in todays culture, it would be completely ignorant to assume that the majority of people had the same carefree attitude on the subject. If you don't believe me, take a look at the American Library Association's "Frequently Challenged Books" list. Of the many novels and stories that are sadly put there, one of the most prime reasons for being challenged is homosexuality. If there are enough people opposed to an idea that literature that exposes them to it is banned, that idea is clearly not "adored" as you say. It is in fact, often openly ridiculed and insulted.

This article was not intended as one opposing or supporting homosexuality; it was merely a suggestion that FORBIDING a piece of literature merely because the author expreses viewpoints opposite of the reader is in fact an absolute desecration of the freedom that American's enjoy. Thank you.

I agree that no one can eradicate our freedom to read as we please, but your statement about homosexuality is very disturbing, but nowadays, it is not only condoned, but welcomed in some cultures, and premoted. Its not like we despise homos and can't stand them. We make friends with them and sometimes adore them. I am not saying this is right, because I myself, being a strong Christian, believe that homosexuality is wrong. I think you may need to rethink that one example.

Other than that, I loved it! It was great writing, great point, I give it a 98%!!