On Beauty | Teen Ink

On Beauty

June 5, 2023
By maria1441 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
maria1441 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your perception of me is a reflection of you; my reaction to you is an awareness of me.


I am often disregarded, yet universally coveted.
For my true essence to enthrall, exploration is demanded.
A shallow glance will not suffice;
Only profound exploration will reveal my price.
For my nature is completely unbounded.
What am I?

It is beauty that seems to fiercely terrorize the women of today. The men of today perpetuate it, but perhaps the men of yesterday are to blame. Here is whom I condemn. Back when the greats roamed the earth, sat on rocks and pondered under the stars, drank Dénthis in celebration of Hedone’s conception. That is where it all began.

A particular man took exceptional inspiration from the wine he drank that day. He felt his body stumble and rejoiced in the way his mind spinned as if the stars he was previously admiring had dropped down, enveloping him. Amidst the euphoria, he found himself wondering: what is life if not pleasure? If humans are capable of such satisfaction, why search for anything but? One ought to give time only, or at least mostly, to what gives glee in exchange. Otherwise, if not pleasurable, why bother?

Hedonism is quite the superficial theory, which is why it is so attractive. It is applicable to anything, and its lifestyle gives the illusion of complete fulfillment. It is no surprise that it has become thoroughly entangled with aesthetics. Slowly, throughout the centuries, beauty was reduced to mere looks, instant gratification, pleasure. Id quod visum placet. Therefore, the contemporary perspective of aesthetics has indisputably been dominated by hedonism. Why society has held onto this view despite hedonism being irrelevant in modern ethics, for example, can be attributed to the effortless way in which it explains why humans so desperately pursue things thought to have aesthetic value: the pleasure experienced in its viewing. When we make this assumption, however, we commit a grave mistake. Sometimes, amidst delight, we miscalculate, attributing lesser or greater value than the object realistically has. Or, worse, imply that objects that create the same pleasurable reaction are therefore of equal aesthetic value, despite being vastly different.

 If beauty is what makes us feel good, then drugs, for example, are beautiful. They provide instant pleasure and create delight. One is transported into a new world. Similarly, music creates an identical reaction. Thrown into a place beyond physical reality, we are overloaded with sensory euphoria, almost an out-of-body experience. Are drugs and music therefore the same in aesthetic value? Likely not. So, is a hedonistic approach to beauty reliable?

At the dawn of the 20th century, a radical new form of expression emerged. Abstract art, at the time of its conception, was met with seething criticism. Critics disparaged it as ugly, and the public made no attempt to comprehend its composition. It provided no immediate pleasure, and it appeared aesthetically unpleasing. Why, then, should they make any effort into understanding, if their first impression was so unsatisfying? It is quite ironic that these works now grace the walls of prestigious museums alongside revered masterpieces. Why? Someone had to understand. All it takes is someone to break free of the chains that reduce beauty to just the pleasure it is capable of providing.  

The tragic result of this narrow-mindedness is that we disregard a wealth of captivating objects, people, experiences, that lie just beneath the surface, waiting to be explored. What breathtaking wonders might we have discovered if only we had been willing to linger a little while longer, to take the time to delve beyond the surface, to embrace the unsettling? It is after this realization that we must realize, the true essence of beauty is not limited to mere appearance or pleasurable sensation. Rather, it resides in the profound depths that can be uncovered through careful exploration. 

Reacting to a sight, whether it elicits pleasure or disgust, is an invitation to explore further. If you aspire to transcend societal programming, it is your duty to go beyond mere superficial attraction.  Be not a slave to it. Unearth beauty where the masses declare it nonexistent. Embrace the call, even when it is faint, and venture forth. Only then will you witness the genuine value of what you once deemed alluring. Only then will you witness the hidden charm of what appeared plain at first glance. 

Rather than shackling your own feet and sentencing yourself to a shallow existence, why not embrace the unsettling, the unappealing, the absurd? Do yourself a favor: give respite to your gaze and break free from the tyranny of Hedone’s golden mirror.