Star Wars Battlefront II (2004): An Old Game With A New Idea | Teen Ink

Star Wars Battlefront II (2004): An Old Game With A New Idea

May 24, 2022
By NotMyActualName GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
NotMyActualName GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You're only out of options when you stop looking for them.


Video games often represent a story through immersive gameplay that the player reacts to. However, in the old Star Wars Battlefront II, your actions are the reasoning behind your own story. More importantly, you are the reasoning behind the Star Wars series and universe because of your actions throughout this video game.

Vader’s Fist, otherwise known as the 501st Imperial Legion and formerly the 501st Clone Battalion, is an elite trooper legion under the leadership of Darth Vader. The 501st Clone Battalion was created as a legion created by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in the Galactic Republic with the Senate’s permission. Throughout the lore and history of Star Wars, the 501st Legion was involved in several operations that boosted the agenda of Chancellor Palpatine and later on, Darth Vader.

The 501st Legion’s legacy is found throughout the importance of the Legion and its actions. In the gameplay, you play as random troops from the Legion as you are tasked through different missions throughout the Star Wars history. These missions often play significant roles in the Star Wars universe but are not often key moments that are shown inside the movies or shows but rather referenced at times.

For the original STAR WARS Battlefront games, I recognized their ideas of adding depth to the story. This series was the first way that fans of STAR WARS could see these troopers as people. Sure the newer movies show these troopers with emotions but the Battlefront series showed it first and in my opinion, they showed it better. The story of Battlefront shows what troopers went through from their perspectives, the orders they followed, and their progression throughout their years to go from clone troopers to stormtroopers. 

Gameplay itself was decently varied with the Battlefronts through telling the story through clips of story between gameplay and you do missions that would be mentioned in the movie. The overall diversity of the characters no matter what campaign “level” created an atmosphere in which you weren’t just playing as the same troops but rather different playable characters with their own special roles with abilities.

Only thing I dislike is how the multiplayer seemed to have been a main focus with the single player seeming very dull for the games of their time which had more emphasis on all these sorts of abilities and actions you can do in single player games while the older Battlefront games felt as if they made the multiplayer and then added on story visuals afterwards to create a single player aspect of the game. Another bad aspect of this video game is the fact that the games are old enough that gameplay/storytelling is limited. With newer lore from the new movies and shows, there are definitely major additions that could be created and added onto the story if there was ever to be a focus in the original Star Wars Battlefront games.

I would definitely wish for anyone who wants to have more knowledge on the story of Star Wars to play this game in order to get more depth in the story. Even average players can enjoy the story that was given along with the amazing gameplay and graphics that can still hold even after time passes.


The author's comments:

Please play this game and not the newer ones.