The future | Teen Ink

The future

January 20, 2022
By edom23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
edom23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Future goals. I view future goals as something that’s far from reality. They are something you wish to reach in the future. But what’s the future? Every next second, minute, hour, and day is unknown.


 No matter how much you plan ahead, things never happen the way they should. So why plan for all these amazing things to happen in your life when you don’t even know if you will wake up the next morning. Everything in life tends to be taken advantage of because people are stressing about how they will pay their bills, trying to get into their dream college, and trying to be the best player in the sport they love. 


It’s taken some time for me to adjust to living in the moment instead of dreading the future. But it has been very beneficial for me and as well as my loved ones that have this mindset as well. I vividly remember the nights I would stay up till I saw the sunrise because I couldn’t get my mind to shut off. There was this pestering thought always swimming around in my brain. What do I need to do better? I personally experienced how stressing about the future can do so much damage to your mental health.


But what about now? What about the current moment we are living in? Rather than stressing about the future, why not live in the moment and make everything out to be the fullest. Stressing about reaching your future takes away from the current moment you are living in. The futures not guaranteed, so why dwell on it when you have now? 


Go spend time with your grandmother, get a simple lunch and enjoy those moments rather than worrying about what nursing home she will have to go to. Being able to cherish the simple moments with your loved ones is so important. I wish someone had told me that. But now I know, and I have grown as a person.


Focus on things when the time comes.