Maui: The Greatest Place on Earth | Teen Ink

Maui: The Greatest Place on Earth

By haileytierney BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
haileytierney BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Maui, Hawaii. Movie-like. It is not a reality until it physically becomes one. 

The tiny island of Maui. The place that, in the blink of an eye upon arrival, is the only important thing in life. Nothing else matters. A simple “vacation” doesn’t even touch on the magnificent Hawaiian endearments. 

Sitting on a beach. Particles of sand surrounding the body, sticking to every part. Pearl white, himalayan pink, and volcanic black colors made by the decay of volcanic rock are captivating. They are engulfing, but in a warm, happy sense. These billions of sand particles are the highway to happiness. 

To the left, a giant mountain looms over every living thing, asserting its dominance. But it is a gentle giant. It sits there quietly, observing the peaceful, quiet life going on in every direction. Grass, trees, and flowers of every color of the rainbow sprout from the ground. The combination of nature puts the mind at ease. 

But what makes Maui different from other islands within Hawaii? One simple thing: Haleakala. “House of Sun.” The mountain above the clouds. 

Legends say that simply being so close to Heaven takes away a person’s sins if they repent and ask for forgiveness.   

Another legend of Haleakala is the Demigod, Maui. According to this legend, the sun sped across the sky too fast, so Maui ran up the volcano of Haleakala, gripped a rope, held onto the sun and made a compromise with it: the sun would go at its own pace for the winter months of the year, but would slow down for the remaining six months. 

When a person sees Haleakala for the first time, they immediately think, wow. I never knew something like this existed. They will probably rethink their entire life in relation to Maui. Why don't I live here? 

There is no simple description of Haleakala because it changes every time. Every sunrise, sunset, day and night look different. Being there for the sunrises and sunsets is enough, but at night is arguably equally as amazing. 

At rising and setting hours, the sun paints the sky in the brightest and dullest colors imaginable. A feast for the eyes. But at night, white stars are splattered in every direction, accompanied with neon lights forming the Milky Way. The Little Dipper! Even children can identify the stars because they are so close to them. 

If one is wondering what Heaven on Earth actually looks like, the answer is Maui.

I actually have never been to Haleakala or Maui before, just other islands in Hawaii. I have heard about Haleakala so I have been researching it recently. I loved learning about all of the legends that make it up and the beautiful place in general. From looking at pictures, I can see the descriptions of this place are surreal. I hope to be able to go there one day!