How Our Phones Impact Our Everyday Lives | Teen Ink

How Our Phones Impact Our Everyday Lives

Our phones have a very positive effect on our lives. We can communicate with anyone in a matter of seconds with just the touch of a button. Many argue that in the world we live in, our phones are a necessity and in some cases, I could agree with that. To be specific, when I’m walking alone I feel safer with my phone, in comparison to without it. In case of an emergency, our phones can be used to call for help. Despite our phones doing a lot of good, they can also be very harmful and detrimental. The average teen, in 2021, will spend around nine hours on a screen (Davis). As a generation, we have become addicted to our phones, the second we hear a notification or a vibration, we immediately turn our heads to see what it is.

Our phones have become more than just a communicative device, they have become the root of anxiety, depression, eating disorders, body dysmorphia in teens. Teenage girls are the largest and most prominent group affected by social media. For example, “Thirty-two percent of teen girls said that when they felt bad about their bodies, Instagram made them feel worse” (Wells). To begin with, most girls in high school already struggle with body issues. Social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat are continuously making facial and body dysmorphia even more severe.